1998Re: Re: [BottosCon] First time attendees

  • duncanr@telus.net
      I'll be posting a list of VPG I might be able to play on Saturday evening. I have quite a stack.

      Also, I am in Coquitlam. Every month or two I send out a bulk email looking for a game day. If anyone wants to be added to my list drop me an email. I prefer to play on weekdays but can free up the occasional weekend.

      Duncan Rice

      On Oct 11, 2012, Robert Kuhar <robertkuhar@...> wrote:

      My name is Bob Kuhar and I am a First Timer BottosCon attendee.  Last week Rob asked us to "self identify" and post what games we would like to play.  So here goes.

      I'll be bringing...
        Conflict of Heroes:  Awakening the Bear
        Conflict of Heroes:  Storms of Steel

      I could play these two all weekend and be happy.  On Friday evening DanC and I, at least, are playing Conflict Of Heros.  If we can rally 6 or 7 more commanders, the "Chercasskoye Firefight Campaign" scenario is customized for Convention play and facilitates up to 8 (if we get 8, I'll be entertained just watching this play out):  http://academy-games.com/images/stories/downloads/cherkasskoye-v3.zip .  8 players, large enough table, hand made damage markers, it could be epic!  Oh, yeah, Academy Games has released the rules around the new Damage Markers they will include with the new edition of "Awakening the Bear":  http://goo.gl/iogvw .  I think DanC may have the actual markers, but if not I'll fashion some of my own so the path of the battle is more clear at its end.

      I also have some Victory Point games that travel well...
        Fleets 2025
        Jena 20
        Caesar XL

      These games play fast in a small surface area and are always entertaining.  I have never seen the US win "Fleets 2025".  Maybe try your luck with a Zumwalt class destroyer:  Have Rail Gun, will travel.

      I'm hopeful to find a game of...
        Wilderness War
        Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage
        Wooden Ships & Iron Men
        Gunslinger
        Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001-?

      I like wargaming in general and prefer games that can be played out in about 2 or 3 hours.  Thank you, Rob, for organizing this and I look forward to meeting you all on the field, er', table of battle.

      Bob

      On Wed, Oct 3, 2012 at 12:11 PM, robinkorea2002 <scouterrob@...> wrote:

      Fellow BottosCon attendees, first I want to thank all the BottosCon veterans for your continued support. This event wouldn't be as great as it is without your continued support. This year we have 44 registered attendees with still 4 weeks to go before BottosCon 2012. Of the 44 attendees, 14 are first time attendees, and while most of the new 14 are experienced wargamers, some are very new to both our convention and hobby.

      I would hope that we all do our best to make our new attendees welcome, and help them get into some games. This great hobby of ours will stagnate if we don't reach out and make new attendees welcome.

      Some of our attendees are running introductory games, and we also have the fine folks from Boardgame Warriors and Starlit Citadel helping out in this regard.

      I've asked new attendees to introduce themselves and post what games they'd like to play or learn and I'd ask our veterans to be open to trying to help these people out. We all remember what it's like to be the new person in the group. Let's help our new attendees out and before you know it, they won't be so new, and maybe next year they're teacing their favourite game to a new attendee.

      Rob Bottos
      BottosCon Actual

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic