BottosCon 2011

  • George
    Message 1 of 25 , 3 Mar, 2011
      Hey Rob,

      Do you have any dates for this years con?

      I am starting to get some email asking?

      Cheers,

      George
      Message 2 of 25 , 9 Mar, 2011
        George, the new dates for this years convention are November 4,5,6 2011.
        Rob
        --- In BottosCon@..., "George" <cgkelln@...> wrote:

        > Hey Rob,
        >
        > Do you have any dates for this years con?
        >
        > I am starting to get some email asking?
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > George

      • George & Charlene Kelln
        Message 3 of 25 , 9 Mar, 2011
          thanks
          George, the new dates for this years convention are November 4,5,6 2011.
          Rob
          --- In BottosCon@..., "George" <cgkelln@...> wrote:

          > Hey Rob,
          >
          > Do you have any dates for this years con?
          >
          > I am starting to get some email asking?
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > George

        • stephen
          Message 4 of 25 , 10 Mar, 2011
            You are properly coordinated with the furries this time, right? ;)

            pax, smn

            Message 5 of 25 , 21 Jul, 2011
              Guys, I wanted to let everyone know that I'll be opening up registration for BottosCon 2011 on Monday August 15.

              BottosCon rates are as follows:

              Weekend Pass $35.00 at the door.

              Discounted registrations as follows:

              August 15 - September 16, 2011 $25.00

              September 17 - October 15, 2011 $30.00

              In light of the surging Canadian dollar, and to encourage our American friends to attend, I will accept US dollars at par.

              I will also accept cash registrations while at Dragonflight.

              In order for the convention to go ahead, I need 30 registrants in total, and towards that goal I'd like to have 20 people pre-register no later than Tuesday October 4th.

              Really looking forward to our 5th BottosCon.

              Message 6 of 25 , 19 Aug, 2011
                Ok guys, registrations for BottosCon 2011 are officialy open. Stephen Graham has bragging rights of being the first to register, and beat out the loyal and dedicated Stephen Newberg. Who will be second to register?

                The sooner you register, the more you save. I'd like to get as many people pre-registered as possible because it means I then have more time to play games at the convention.

                So, let the registrations commence. My paypal account is scouterrob@...

                Rob Bottos
                BottosCon Actual
                Message 7 of 25 , 19 Aug, 2011
                  And we now have our 2nd registrant, newcomer Doug Cooley.

                  Sadly Doug, you're the 2nd Yank, but first Oregonian to register for the convention.

                  Who will be third, and most importantly, who will be the first Canadian to register for BottosCon 2011?

                  Rob

                  Message 8 of 25 , 19 Aug, 2011
                    Just let me know when I can buy you a coffee.
                    I'll be on and off work between vacation and surgery (hoping it won't keep me from the con).

                    Sent: Friday, August 19, 2011 9:21 PM

                    And we now have our 2nd registrant, newcomer Doug Cooley.

                    Sadly Doug, you're the 2nd Yank, but first Oregonian to register for the convention.

                    Who will be third, and most importantly, who will be the first Canadian to register for BottosCon 2011?

                    Rob

                    --- In BottosCon@..., "robinkorea2002" <scouterrob@...> wrote:

                    > Ok guys, registrations for BottosCon 2011 are officialy open. Stephen Graham has bragging rights of being the first to register, and beat out the loyal and dedicated Stephen Newberg. Who will be second to register?
                    >
                    > The sooner you register, the more you save. I'd like to get as many people pre-registered as possible because it means I then have more time to play games at the convention.
                    >
                    > So, let the registrations commence. My paypal account is scouterrob@...
                    >
                    > Rob Bottos
                    > BottosCon Actual

                  • Doug Cooley
                    Message 9 of 25 , 19 Aug, 2011

                      On Aug 19, 2011, at 9:21 PM, robinkorea2002 wrote:

                      Sadly Doug, you're the 2nd Yank, but first Oregonian to register for the convention.

                      I will take my small consolations where I can get them.

                      BTW, I figured out what to do with my wife. During the con. Can't figure out the rest of the time, but that's my problem. My sister is going to come up with us and they are both going to stay in downtown and have fun, which fortunately they are very good at doing. At least I think it's fortunate. I will stay at the Compass Points Inn Friday and Saturday nights, so we only have two extra rooms nights to fill. Thanks to all for the good suggestions!

                      Doug
                      Message 10 of 25 , 19 Aug, 2011
                        Doug, take pleasure in the small things. Will you be drivng up, or travelling via Amtrak? Several of my Seattle friends come to BottosCon via Amtrak and while on the train, they actually play games. If you need to find a roomate for the hotel, you can post a message here.

                        Rob

                        --- In BottosCon@..., Doug Cooley <doug666@...> wrote:

                        > On Aug 19, 2011, at 9:21 PM, robinkorea2002 wrote:
                        >
                        > > Sadly Doug, you're the 2nd Yank, but first Oregonian to register for the convention.
                        >
                        > I will take my small consolations where I can get them.
                        >
                        > BTW, I figured out what to do with my wife. During the con. Can't figure out the rest of the time, but that's my problem. My sister is going to come up with us and they are both going to stay in downtown and have fun, which fortunately they are very good at doing. At least I think it's fortunate. I will stay at the Compass Points Inn Friday and Saturday nights, so we only have two extra rooms nights to fill. Thanks to all for the good suggestions!
                        >
                        > Doug

                      • Doug Cooley
                        Message 11 of 25 , 20 Aug, 2011

                          On Aug 19, 2011, at 10:04 PM, robinkorea2002 wrote:

                          Doug, take pleasure in the small things. Will you be drivng up, or travelling via Amtrak? Several of my Seattle friends come to BottosCon via Amtrak and while on the train, they actually play games. If you need to find a roomate for the hotel, you can post a message here.

                          We'd intended to drive. I've done the train thing from Portland to Seattle to see NFL games, and done some gaming if I've been with guy friends, but it's a harder sell with the wife. As for a roomie, I'm happier with my own room (as would anyone else in the room - I tend to snore).
                        • anthony santiago
                          Message 12 of 25 , 21 Aug, 2011

                            Hey Rob,

                            Sorry is early pre-reg $25 or $30?

                            Let me know if I owe you more dinero.

                            Cheers,
                            Anthony

                            To: BottosCon@...
                            From: scouterrob@...
                            Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 05:04:24 +0000

                            Doug, take pleasure in the small things. Will you be drivng up, or travelling via Amtrak? Several of my Seattle friends come to BottosCon via Amtrak and while on the train, they actually play games. If you need to find a roomate for the hotel, you can post a message here.

                            Rob

                            --- In BottosCon@..., Doug Cooley <doug666@...> wrote:

                            > On Aug 19, 2011, at 9:21 PM, robinkorea2002 wrote:
                            >
                            > > Sadly Doug, you're the 2nd Yank, but first Oregonian to register for the convention.
                            >
                            > I will take my small consolations where I can get them.
                            >
                            > BTW, I figured out what to do with my wife. During the con. Can't figure out the rest of the time, but that's my problem. My sister is going to come up with us and they are both going to stay in downtown and have fun, which fortunately they are very good at doing. At least I think it's fortunate. I will stay at the Compass Points Inn Friday and Saturday nights, so we only have two extra rooms nights to fill. Thanks to all for the good suggestions!
                            >
                            > Doug

                          • Rick Smith
                            Message 13 of 25 , 24 Aug, 2011
                              Do you have a website?

                              Warm regards, Rick

                              Message 14 of 25 , 24 Aug, 2011
                                Rick, do you mean a website for BottosCon?

                                Message 15 of 25 , 30 Aug, 2011
                                  We have another first time attendee, Bryan Martin, and he has the distinction of being the 9th person to register for this year's BottosCon.

                                  I first met Bryan at Dragonflight back in 2009 when he and his wife Leann sat down to learn Combat Commander: Europe. Sadly Leann won't be able to join us this year, but I have it on good authority she's a wicked Twilight Struggle player, and you don't want to mess with her Papal Decrees in Here I Stand.

                                  Let's make Bryan welcome and show him how we game up here in the Great White North :)

                                  On a different note, I've spoken with Kirby at Boardgame Warriors, and he'll be returning again this year to run his gaming table. So, if wargames aren't quite your cup of tea, or if you're looking for something slightly different, please check out his table.

                                  Registrations have been open for just over 2 weeks and we're nearly a third of the way to the 30 registrants we need. Let's continue to spread the word and I know this will be our best BottosCon yet.

                                  Rob
                                • stephen
                                  Message 16 of 25 , 31 Aug, 2011
                                    I gave up ages ago trying to beat Jeannie at Twilight Struggle. Now I just try to stay in the game...

                                    pax, smn

                                    --- In BottosCon@..., "robinkorea2002" <scouterrob@...> wrote:

                                    > We have another first time attendee, Bryan Martin, and he has the distinction of being the 9th person to register for this year's BottosCon.
                                    >
                                    > I first met Bryan at Dragonflight back in 2009 when he and his wife Leann sat down to learn Combat Commander: Europe. Sadly Leann won't be able to join us this year, but I have it on good authority she's a wicked Twilight Struggle player, and you don't want to mess with her Papal Decrees in Here I Stand.
                                  • devin.gallant
                                    Message 17 of 25 , 4 Sep, 2011
                                      Hi Rob

                                      how much is prereg?

                                      Message 18 of 25 , 4 Sep, 2011
                                        Devin, and everyone else. Pre-registration prices for BottosCon 2011 are as follows:

                                        1. Up to September 16, 2011 a weekend pass is $25.00

                                        2. From September 17 - October October 15, 2011 a weekend pass is $30.00

                                        3. October 16 and after wards a weekend pass is $35.00

                                        4. A one day pass is $20.00

                                        I accept paypal scouterrob@..., money orders, or cash. If you live locally, drop me an e-mail and I can arrange to get your fee from you in cash so as to avoid paypal service charges.

                                        For our attendees south of the border, I will accept American currecny at par at the door, but if you're pre-registering and paying via paypal, please make sure to send payment in Canadian dollars.

                                        Thanks.
                                        Rob Bottos

                                        Message 19 of 25 , 6 Sep, 2011
                                          Guys, registration is moving right along. Currently at 16 registrants for the convention, which is right on track with where we were at this time last year. 10 days remain to take advantage of the $25.00 early registration rate, then rates jiump to $30.00
                                        • Michel Boucher
                                          Message 20 of 25 , 7 Sep, 2011
                                            On 7 Sep 2011 at 5:42, robinkorea2002 wrote:

                                            > Guys, registration is moving right along. Currently at 16
                                            > registrants for the convention, which is right on track with where
                                            > we were at this time last year. 10 days remain to take advantage of
                                            > the $25.00 early registration rate, then rates jiump to $30.00

                                            This reminded me to make sure I had my reservation at the hotel. Done and
                                            done!
                                          • Devin
                                            Message 21 of 25 , 12 Sep, 2011
                                              for whatever reason, i can't see the second half of anyone's email on here (the part after @)
                                              can someone tell me the domain name of rob's paypal account...i think its shaw.ca but i want to make sure before i pay

                                              --- In BottosCon@..., "robinkorea2002" <scouterrob@...> wrote:

                                              > Devin, and everyone else. Pre-registration prices for BottosCon 2011 are as follows:
                                              >
                                              > 1. Up to September 16, 2011 a weekend pass is $25.00
                                              >
                                              > 2. From September 17 - October October 15, 2011 a weekend pass is $30.00
                                              >
                                              > 3. October 16 and after wards a weekend pass is $35.00
                                              >
                                              > 4. A one day pass is $20.00
                                              >
                                              > I accept paypal scouterrob@..., money orders, or cash. If you live locally, drop me an e-mail and I can arrange to get your fee from you in cash so as to avoid paypal service charges.
                                              >
                                              > For our attendees south of the border, I will accept American currecny at par at the door, but if you're pre-registering and paying via paypal, please make sure to send payment in Canadian dollars.
                                              >
                                              > Thanks.
                                              > Rob Bottos
                                              >
                                              > --- In BottosCon@..., "devin.gallant" <devin.gallant@> wrote:
                                              > >
                                              > > Hi Rob
                                              > >
                                              > > how much is prereg?
                                              > >
                                              > > --- In BottosCon@..., "robinkorea2002" <scouterrob@> wrote:
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Ok guys, registrations for BottosCon 2011 are officialy open. Stephen Graham has bragging rights of being the first to register, and beat out the loyal and dedicated Stephen Newberg. Who will be second to register?
                                              > > >
                                              > > > The sooner you register, the more you save. I'd like to get as many people pre-registered as possible because it means I then have more time to play games at the convention.
                                              > > >
                                              > > > So, let the registrations commence. My paypal account is scouterrob@
                                              > > >
                                              > > > Rob Bottos
                                              > > > BottosCon Actual

                                            • martibm
                                              Message 22 of 25 , 12 Sep, 2011
                                                I had trouble with that too. I thought it was shaw, but it is telus.net. I actually had to google "scouterrob@" to find out what it was. That was before this was posted:

                                                http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/693134/bottoscon-2011-november-4-6-2011-compass-points-in

                                                Message 23 of 25 , 12 Sep, 2011
                                                  Devin, I'm not sure why you're not able to see the domain part of my e-mail address. I've gone and updated the front page of the website and listed my e-mail address there.
                                                  Rob

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , 7 Nov, 2011
                                                    First and foremost, I want to thank everyone who helped to make this our best BottosCon to date. We had 60 people attend this year's convention, and for me one of the enduring memories I'll take away from this year was that this year we truly became a family friendly multi-generational event with several attendees brining their kids with them to the convention. Thank you to Nick Drochak, Andrew Nick, and Nikki Sturges for helping us mark this milestone.

                                                    While I'm on the subject of thanking people, I want to thank both Boardgame Warriors and Starlit Citadel for doing their part to make sure that no gamer was left behind at this year's BottosCon. While I'm a wargamer at heart, I get that not everyone enjoys or has the time for wargames. Bottoscon will always be a wargaming convention run by a wargamer for wargamers, but I recognise that sometimes a lighter fair is needed, and will do my best to see that we are also an inclusive convention.

                                                    Thanks also go out to all the various companies who donated door prizes for this year's convention. I know most of you don't come for the prizes, but let's face it, it's always nice to win something. So thank you again to: Against the Odds Magazine, Boardgame Warriors, GMT Games, Multiman Publishing, Starlit Citadel, and Victory Point Games.

                                                    Thank you also to those of you who made the effort to bring a donation for the local food bank. Because of your generosity, someone less fortunate than ourselves will not go hungry. BottosCon will continue to be a convention that gives back to the community.

                                                    As you all know we had some "issues" with both our location this year, and with the event that took place in the East Fraser Room on Saturday night. I want to thank everyone for their patience, understanding and cooperation as I dealt with these issues. Hopefully the coffee, pastries, and buffet put on by the hotel helped to salve any ill feelings.

                                                    I had a meeting with both the Hotel's catering manager today, as well as the catering manager's boss. The management at the Compass Points Inn twas very apologetic, and while the discount and free coffee they offered us can't make up for the disruption to your gaming on Saturday night, I hope you won't let the disruption of Saturday night spoil what was otherwise a very well run and attended convention that went very smoothly.

                                                    The hotel management wants to retain our business and has agreed to red flag our dates for next year and to not have the Latin Dance group in the East Fraser Roon next year, and it sounds like they might even go so far as to not have the dance group in the hotel for that weekend as other groups also complained about their event being disrupted.

                                                    So, based on the tone of our meeting today, I'm confident that we won't have this problem next year.

                                                    I saw lot's of great games being played over thge course of the weekend and was even able to play a few games myself. Thanks again to George Kelln for bringing his ASL West Coast Rumble to BottosCon - without his cadre of die hard ASL players our convention would be a lesser event.

                                                    It was great to see such a wide variety of games being played this year, and for once I actually knew almost everyone in the room ,and was even able to chat with almost all of you at some point over the course of the weekend. If I missed anyone I'm truly sorry, but I'm sure we'll get a chance to have a chat at future conventions.

                                                    One of the reasons we continue to have great conventions at BottosCon is becasue of the great people who make the time to attend our convention. I can only do so much to network and promote this convention. It's your personal stories and anecdotes that you share with your fellow gamers that continue to draw new people to our event - and this year of our 60 attendees, almost 1/3 were first time attendees. That is truly amazing!

                                                    I'm truly blessed to know so many quality people, and I have to tell you, it's a real treat to be able offer you a venue where you can all come together and do what you love best - play games.

                                                    I'm committed - or is that should be committed? - to continuing to run BottosCon for as long as there are people who want to get together and play great games with great people. I can't believe it's already been five years, and I'm looking forward to the next five years and seeing where we can take this convention. In 2007 we were 32, and in 2011 we're 60. I'll see you all if not sooner, then most definitely on November 2,3,4 2012 for BottosCon 2012.

                                                    In the meantime, good gaming to all of you, and health and well being to you and your families.

                                                    Rob Bottos
                                                    Bottoscon Actual
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , 7 Nov, 2011
                                                      And before I forget, thank yo to Dragonflight for their ongoing support of our convention.

                                                      Rob Bottos