Urban Sprawl

  • Art
    Message 1 of 13 , 21 Oct, 2011
      You guys may know that GMT has just released a new game by Chad Jensen whose credits include Combat Commander, Fighting Formations, and Dominant Species. "Urban Sprawl" isn't a war game, but the initial reviews on it have been so enthusiastic that I'm bringing a copy anyway.

      Anyone interested in giving it a go? Crystal clear rules, cut-throat game of urban development that won't play the same way twice; 2-4 players, 45min. per player.

      I'll put it up on the database...

      - Art
    • Stephen Graham
      Message 2 of 13 , 21 Oct, 2011
        On Fri Oct 21 22:48 , 'Art' <artbrochet@...> sent:

        > You guys may know that GMT has just released a new game by Chad Jensen
        whose credits include Combat Commander, Fighting Formations, and Dominant
        Species. "Urban Sprawl" isn't a war game, but the initial reviews on it have
        been so enthusiastic that I'm bringing a copy anyway.

        >Anyone interested in giving it a go? Crystal clear rules, cut-throat game of
        urban development that won't play the same way twice; 2-4 players, 45min. per player.

        I was hoping my copy would come in today, but it didn't. Bah. I think it might be
        too fiddly for a train game, unfortunately.
      • Doug Cooley
        Message 3 of 13 , 22 Oct, 2011

          On Oct 21, 2011, at 10:48 PM, Art wrote:

          You guys may know that GMT has just released a new game by Chad Jensen whose credits include Combat Commander, Fighting Formations, and Dominant Species. "Urban Sprawl" isn't a war game, but the initial reviews on it have been so enthusiastic that I'm bringing a copy anyway.

          Anyone interested in giving it a go? Crystal clear rules, cut-throat game of urban development that won't play the same way twice; 2-4 players, 45min. per player.

          I'll put it up on the database...

          I'm in, but my timeframe is a little limited - needs to be Saturday before 1pm, or anytime on Sunday. Everything else is booked up. I'd also be willing to play on Thursday evening, as I plan to arrive around the dinner hour that day.

          I am a huge fan of Jensen's ruleswriting, not to mention his game systems. Clean and fun. BTW, my copy arrived yesterday and I'm happy to bring it along.

          Doug C
        • Doug Cooley
          Message 4 of 13 , 22 Oct, 2011
            Guys,

            I have a bunch of games that I am planning to put up for auction on Board Game Geek in the near future to benefit the Jack Vasal Memorial Fund. Jack was the infant son of Tom Vasal, known for his tireless work on The Dice Tower podcast. Jack died long before his first birthday, but his medical costs were overwhelming for the Vasals, and Tom turned to the BGG community for assistance and got it. He has created a fund to help others in the same situation.

            What does this have to do with BottosCon? Well, I hate going to the post office or the UPS store, so I'm going to offer the games at my "friends and family" prices to people attending BottosCon. All proceeds, assuming I'm not taxed at the border, will go to the JVMF.

            You can see the list of games and prices at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/68926/dougs-game-sale. The bulk of the games fall into a couple of categories - GMT's GBoH line, Avalanche Press' Panzer Grenadier series, as well as a few things from GWaS or SWWaS, many of the old AH Smithsonian titles, GMT's Musket and Pike series, Battles of the American Revolution series,  and a smattering of other titles. Consider prices to be in Canadian dollars, and I will only accept cash.

            If any of the above series interest you, take a look. These are fire sale prices for the most part, aside from a couple of things that have some actual value. And your dollars go to a good cause.

            Because of space limitations, I will only bring games that people have requested by end of day Tuesday, Nov 1st.

            Doug C
            Message 5 of 13 , 22 Oct, 2011
              List doesn't exist message

              Message 6 of 13 , 22 Oct, 2011
                Ah Cripes, I was trying to stay away from Urban Sprawl because I'm afraid I'm going to buy it.

                Would people be interested in switching the Dominant Species booking (Sat evening) with Urban Sprawl? We'd need consensus for that to happen. I'd hate to back out if people are really looking forward to that.

                Actually, I think we might have too many DS players booked for US anyways... no time to check right now.

                I would be into US if I could fit it in. Maybe instead of High Frontier? I dunno. Too many games!

                Jay

                --
                www.gogomax49.com
                http://draworbedrawn.blogspot.com/
                Message 7 of 13 , 22 Oct, 2011
                  Should work now.

                  Doug

                  On Oct 22, 2011, at 10:30, "Duncan Rice" <duncanr@...> wrote:

                  List doesn't exist message

                  Message 8 of 13 , 22 Oct, 2011

                    On Oct 22, 2011, at 10:57 AM, Jay White wrote:

                    Would people be interested in switching the Dominant Species booking (Sat evening) with Urban Sprawl? We'd need consensus for that to happen. I'd hate to back out if people are really looking forward to that.

                    Actually, I think we might have too many DS players booked for US anyways... no time to check right now.

                    I would be into US if I could fit it in. Maybe instead of High Frontier? I dunno. Too many games!

                    Yes, too many games. Story of my life. When combined with "not enough time".

                    As I said, I'll bring my copy of US as well, and we can play by ear. We have six booked for DS, so if two or three wanted to break off they could do it.

                    I'm also planning to bring Gears of War, which is a very cool new shoot 'em up game similar to Descent or Castle Ravenloft but with no need for an Overlord player and a lot of very cool scenarios. It's light, but it's got a great feel and scales well up to four. It also can be taught in about three minutes (it will take longer to set up than to teach!). Good late-night fare for sure.

                    Doug C
                  • anthonysantiag0
                    Message 9 of 13 , 22 Oct, 2011
                      Doug I'd be into some GoW, when were you planning to play?

                      -Anthony

                      --- In BottosCon@..., Doug Cooley <doug666@...> wrote:

                      > On Oct 22, 2011, at 10:57 AM, Jay White wrote:
                      >
                      > > Would people be interested in switching the Dominant Species booking (Sat evening) with Urban Sprawl? We'd need consensus for that to happen. I'd hate to back out if people are really looking forward to that.
                      > >
                      > > Actually, I think we might have too many DS players booked for US anyways... no time to check right now.
                      > >
                      > > I would be into US if I could fit it in. Maybe instead of High Frontier? I dunno. Too many games!
                      >
                      > Yes, too many games. Story of my life. When combined with "not enough time".
                      >
                      > As I said, I'll bring my copy of US as well, and we can play by ear. We have six booked for DS, so if two or three wanted to break off they could do it.
                      >
                      > I'm also planning to bring Gears of War, which is a very cool new shoot 'em up game similar to Descent or Castle Ravenloft but with no need for an Overlord player and a lot of very cool scenarios. It's light, but it's got a great feel and scales well up to four. It also can be taught in about three minutes (it will take longer to set up than to teach!). Good late-night fare for sure.
                      >
                      > Doug C

                    • Doug Cooley
                      Message 10 of 13 , 22 Oct, 2011

                        On Oct 22, 2011, at 3:57 PM, anthonysantiag0 wrote:

                        Doug I'd be into some GoW, when were you planning to play?

                        I was thinking Sunday sometime, which is kind of open right now. Fortunately, it's short enough (with two) and easy enough to set up that it will work well as a "filler" game.

                        Doug
                      • Doug Cooley
                        Message 11 of 13 , 30 Oct, 2011
                          All,

                          Because there may be a few of you who joined after this message was originally posted, I'm reposting. Thanks to all who have purchased games, so far I've collected nearly $150 going to the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund (sorry about the misspelled name earlier).

                          As a quick reminder, I will be busy getting ready to go on Wednesday and traveling on Thursday, so please let me know if you'd like me to bring anything up for you by the end of day Tuesday. I will try to accommodate orders after that time, but won't guarantee I'll catch it in time or have room.

                          All games are, unless otherwise noted, to be in very good to like new condition, with most like new other than having punched and clipped counters and having minimal box wear and some handling of the components. I am not a smoker, so they smell like games instead of tobacco. You are welcome to inspect the game at the con and refuse to purchase, but please don't ask me to bring something up if you don't fully intend to purchase it.

                          Thanks for your support of the Fund.

                          Doug C

                          On Oct 22, 2011, at 9:36 AM, Doug Cooley wrote:

                          Guys,

                          I have a bunch of games that I am planning to put up for auction on Board Game Geek in the near future to benefit the Jack Vasel Memorial Fund. Jack was the infant son of Tom Vasal, known for his tireless work on The Dice Tower podcast. Jack died long before his first birthday, but his medical costs were overwhelming for the Vasals, and Tom turned to the BGG community for assistance and got it. He has created a fund to help others in the same situation.

[...]

                        • Rich A.
                          Message 12 of 13 , 31 Oct, 2011
                            Hi Doug.

                            Can you please bring Age of Exploration and Blackbeard up with you?  Thanks!

                            Richard Africa

                            To: BottosCon@...

                            Message 13 of 13 , 31 Oct, 2011

                              On Oct 31, 2011, at 12:57 PM, Rich A. wrote:

                              Can you please bring Age of Exploration and Blackbeard up with you?  Thanks!

                              Will do, have you on the list.

                              AoE has a little more box wear than most of the games I have, but Blackbeard (recent edition) is in excellent shape. I bought AoE in Hawaii in a game store that I can only describe as Wargame Heaven, I spent about four hours and $250 rummaging through the shelves there when my wife and I were visiting her family a couple of years ago. The game was new, and had *some* shrink on it, but the box doesn't look particularly new. You can change your mind about it at the con if you choose.

                              Thanks!

                              Doug