Fields of Fire

  • Art
    Message 1 of 6 , 26 Oct, 2011
      It's not Up Front, though the map gets laid out with cards.
      It's not ASL, though the 10 turn games are just as intense.
      It's not TCS, though it has a Command and Control system that amazes.

      It is Fields of Fire, Ben Hull's solo WWII/Korea/'Nam solitaire game (now with a new rulebook).

      Jay White and I will be playing this, side by side, Friday afternoon. Come check it out...

      (And let me know if you have any interest in learning more about the game - perhaps Sunday?)
    • Bryan
      Message 2 of 6 , 26 Oct, 2011
        I'd love to check this out. My Friday afternoon is already booked though. I picked this up from GMT when it came out, but have never made time for it yet. Keep meaning to.

        --- In BottosCon@..., "Art" <artbrochet@...> wrote:

        > It's not Up Front, though the map gets laid out with cards.
        > It's not ASL, though the 10 turn games are just as intense.
        > It's not TCS, though it has a Command and Control system that amazes.
        >
        > It is Fields of Fire, Ben Hull's solo WWII/Korea/'Nam solitaire game (now with a new rulebook).
        >
        > Jay White and I will be playing this, side by side, Friday afternoon. Come check it out...
        >
        > (And let me know if you have any interest in learning more about the game - perhaps Sunday?)

      • Michel Boucher
        Message 3 of 6 , 27 Oct, 2011
          On 27 Oct 2011 at 5:13, Art wrote:

          > It's not Up Front, though the map gets laid out with cards.
          > It's not ASL, though the 10 turn games are just as intense.
          > It's not TCS, though it has a Command and Control system that
          > amazes.
          >
          > It is Fields of Fire, Ben Hull's solo WWII/Korea/'Nam solitaire game
          > (now with a new rulebook).
          >
          > Jay White and I will be playing this, side by side, Friday
          > afternoon. Come check it out...

          I did a whole mission about a year and a half ago with a friend using Vassal.
          Hopefully, the new version of the rules clears up a lot of the fog we went
          through interpreting the inner workings of Ben Hull's mind ;-)

          We both ended Mission one with 27 points each. He was done by turn 9 and
          I played turn 10 by myself to finish the mission.
        • Martin Hogan
          Message 4 of 6 , 27 Oct, 2011
            Hi Art,

            I'll definitely want to take a look. I've been eager to get into this game, but the first version of the rules was too much to stomach at the
            time.

            Cheers,

            Martin

              Message 6 of 6 , 27 Oct, 2011

                On Oct 27, 2011, at 9:39 AM, Jay White wrote:

                If there are enough people interested, I suppose Art and I could each run a Fields of Fire game, and people who want to learn can join in and take on a platoon or two. It would be really easy to have more than one person play the same game.

                I've taught the game with four or five people playing their own game at the same time. It works astonishingly well, assuming you have someone who understands the system overseeing things. The big advantage is that they learn from doing while everyone runs into different situations almost from the start so everyone sees a lot of "play time" at once. My "students" agreed that it was a very good session for them. I think it's much better to have new players playing than watching, it reinforces learning more effectively. I'm happy to bring my copy to let extra people get involved.

                I recommend that anyone interested in learning this game do so by taking advantage of Art and Jay's generosity. This is a complex game and I did not find the 2nd ed rules to be a significant improvement in all areas, especially if you are trying to learn the game - the pyrotechnics and filling in of the mission sheet alone remain underdeveloped and underexplained, even in the new rules.

                Doug