Please be gentle with me..

  • rekinrade
    Message 1 of 20 , 8 Aug, 2012
      Hi One & All

      This will be my first time attending an event like this, so I'm not 100% sure how this is supposed to work. Please bear with me if I appear the total noob I unfortunately am.

      Anyhoo, I'm interested in playing some lighter/shorter wargames. I own copies of Command & Colors: Napoleonics, Panzer Grenadier:1940 Fall of France and the ASL SK series.

      I hope to be at the con Friday eve, Saturday aft .eve and Sunday aft.

      Anyone wanna make a playdate?

      Roy K.
      Message 2 of 20 , 8 Aug, 2012
        Roy, welcome aboard. There's a few guys who play ASLSK and I'm sure you'll be able to get some games lined up. Most of the chatter for the convention will start to build towards the end of September but given how quickly people have been registering for the convention this could change. If you're looking for some regular ASL games in the interim my friend Rick White hosts a regular ASL night at his home in Coquitlam. Please let me know if you'd like me to put you in contact. He also plays ASLSK.
        Rob Bottos

        --- In BottosCon@..., "rekinrade" <rekinrade@...> wrote:

        > Hi One & All
        >
        > This will be my first time attending an event like this, so I'm not 100% sure how this is supposed to work. Please bear with me if I appear the total noob I unfortunately am.
        >
        > Anyhoo, I'm interested in playing some lighter/shorter wargames. I own copies of Command & Colors: Napoleonics, Panzer Grenadier:1940 Fall of France and the ASL SK series.
        >
        > I hope to be at the con Friday eve, Saturday aft .eve and Sunday aft.
        >
        > Anyone wanna make a playdate?
        >
        > Roy K.

      • Dan Owsen
        Message 3 of 20 , 9 Aug, 2012
          Don't forget to wear your furry outfit.  It's a newbie requirement.
        • duncanr@telus.net
          Message 4 of 20 , 9 Aug, 2012
            I'll be happy to give you a game of ASLSK. Probably Friday evening. I also have a bunch of VPG games which can be played in an hour.
            If you are interested in playing outside of BottosCon let me know. I'll add you to my mailing list where I go hunting for games every few weeks.

            Duncan Rice

            On Aug 8, 2012, rekinrade <rekinrade@...> wrote:

            Hi One & All

            This will be my first time attending an event like this, so I'm not 100% sure how this is supposed to work. Please bear with me if I appear the total noob I unfortunately am.

            Anyhoo, I'm interested in playing some lighter/shorter wargames. I own copies of Command & Colors: Napoleonics, Panzer Grenadier:1940 Fall of France and the ASL SK series.

            I hope to be at the con Friday eve, Saturday aft .eve and Sunday aft.

            Anyone wanna make a playdate?

            Roy K.

          • Andrew Nick
            Message 5 of 20 , 9 Aug, 2012
              Good point, Dan!

              Some unfortunate chaps showed-up uninformed (as opposed to uniformed ... ) last year, and despite everyone's efforts to make them feel welcome, it was clear they felt uncomfortable about the whole situation.

              Conform or be cast out!

              Andrew

              To: BottosCon@...
              From: zebradano@...
              Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 10:11:46 -0700
              Subject: [BottosCon] Re: Please be gentle with me..

              Don't forget to wear your furry outfit.  It's a newbie requirement.

              http://www.doteasy.com
            • Andrew Nick
              Message 6 of 20 , 9 Aug, 2012
                Nope, Friday evening will require your full attention for Up Front, Duncan ...

                Andrew

                To: rekinrade@...
                CC: BottosCon@...

                Message 7 of 20 , 9 Aug, 2012
                  I was going to wear a furry outfit but just took my shirt off instead. No one seemed to notice the difference.

                  Duncan

                  From: zebradano@...
                  Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 10:11:46 -0700

                  Message 8 of 20 , 9 Aug, 2012
                    Guys, we're trying to make new attendees feel welcome and not scare them off :-) And just like at any restaurant, no shirt, no shoes, no admittance :-)
                    Rob

                    --- In BottosCon@..., "Duncan Rice" <duncanr@...> wrote:

                    > I was going to wear a furry outfit but just took my shirt off instead. No one seemed to notice the difference.
                    >
                    > Duncan

                  • Andrew Nick
                    Message 9 of 20 , 9 Aug, 2012
                      That's hot ...

                      To: BottosCon@...
                      From: duncanr@...
                      Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 15:25:03 -0700

                      From: zebradano@...
                      Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 10:11:46 -0700

                      Message 10 of 20 , 13 Sep, 2012
                        Hi One & All

                        I'm still looking for a game, ideally on Saturday aft./eve. (Friday eve. is looking unlikely now).

                        Last time I forgot to say that I also own a couple of the Victory Point Games' Napoleonic 20 series, if that makes a difference.

                        Anyone interested?

                        Roy K.

                        Message 11 of 20 , 13 Sep, 2012
                          I wouldn't mind getting in on Federation Commander. I've played it three times - enough to know what a delight it would be to fill Rick White's ship full of drones and photon torpedoes...

                          Message 12 of 20 , 13 Sep, 2012
                            Roy, somehow I missed your initial message. First and foremost, welcome aboard.

                            Looking at your list I don't see a game that grabs me but don't get discouraged as we still have lots of time to get you into a game. The chatter on this list picks up quite a bit in Oct. There are ASLSK players out there and I know my friend Rick Smith likes some of the VPG games.

                            Just curious, what's keeping you away on Friday night?
                            Rob

                            --- In BottosCon@..., "rekinrade" <rekinrade@...> wrote:

                            > Hi One & All
                            >
                            > I'm still looking for a game, ideally on Saturday aft./eve. (Friday eve. is looking unlikely now).
                            >
                            > Last time I forgot to say that I also own a couple of the Victory Point Games' Napoleonic 20 series, if that makes a difference.
                            >
                            > Anyone interested?
                            >
                            > Roy K.
                            >
                            > --- In BottosCon@..., "rekinrade" <rekinrade@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Hi One & All
                            > >
                            > > This will be my first time attending an event like this, so I'm not 100% sure how this is supposed to work. Please bear with me if I appear the total noob I unfortunately am.
                            > >
                            > > Anyhoo, I'm interested in playing some lighter/shorter wargames. I own copies of Command & Colors: Napoleonics, Panzer Grenadier:1940 Fall of France and the ASL SK series.
                            > >
                            > > I hope to be at the con Friday eve, Saturday aft .eve and Sunday aft.
                            > >
                            > > Anyone wanna make a playdate?
                            > >
                            > > Roy K.

                          • rekinrade
                            Message 13 of 20 , 14 Sep, 2012
                              > ..I don't see a game that grabs me..

                              Understood; that's just the ones I own & can bring along.

                              If anyone wants to play something of about the same sort of complexity & length and either doesn't mind teaching it or the rules are on-line somewhere that'd work too.

                              I appreciate most attendees will have their dance cards filled out before they arrive, but would you say there'll be much scope for pick up games at the event? Will there be spare tables available, for example?

                              > ..I missed your initial message

                              No probs. You did say hi when I sent the original message, it was just sent a while back.

                              > ..what's keeping you away on Friday night?

                              Family commitments that weekend, unfortunately, otherwise I'd have signed up for the Up Front.

                              Message 14 of 20 , 14 Sep, 2012
                                Roy, there are always a few guys who who show up and just go with the flow. I do my best to keep a few tables free for pick up games, but space is finite and so are the number of tables the hotel provides. But don't worry, in the previous 5 years we've never had a problem, and people always find games to play. Did you see the list of games that Mat Carter wants to play? Some of them are relatively easy to pick up. When I went to Consim Expo earlier this year I didn't get any takers for my initial list of games posted, and it wasn't till I went to plan B and about a month before the convention that I final.y got a nibble and it turned out my second choices were my best choices, I had an amazing time and made some great new friends.
                                Rob

                                Message 15 of 20 , 14 Sep, 2012
                                  Roy, while it isn't CC Napoleonics, my friend Troy is going to run CC Ancients Epic Battles on Sunday morning at the convention.

                                  Also, have you ever tried Combat Commander? If you like Up Front, you'll find Combat Commander a very good game. Andrew Laws has some new scenarios for an upcoming Battlepack he is working on for GMT and he is looking for some people to take them out for a spin at BottosCon.

                                  Doug, Rick, Mat, or Duncan, are any of you guys up for getting in a game with Roy?

                                  Rob
                                  --- In BottosCon@..., "rekinrade" <rekinrade@...> wrote:

                                  > Hi One & All
                                  >
                                  > I'm still looking for a game, ideally on Saturday aft./eve. (Friday eve. is looking unlikely now).
                                  >
                                  > Last time I forgot to say that I also own a couple of the Victory Point Games' Napoleonic 20 series, if that makes a difference.
                                  >
                                  > Anyone interested?
                                  >
                                  > Roy K.
                                  >
                                  > --- In BottosCon@..., "rekinrade" <rekinrade@> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > Hi One & All
                                  > >
                                  > > This will be my first time attending an event like this, so I'm not 100% sure how this is supposed to work. Please bear with me if I appear the total noob I unfortunately am.
                                  > >
                                  > > Anyhoo, I'm interested in playing some lighter/shorter wargames. I own copies of Command & Colors: Napoleonics, Panzer Grenadier:1940 Fall of France and the ASL SK series.
                                  > >
                                  > > I hope to be at the con Friday eve, Saturday aft .eve and Sunday aft.
                                  > >
                                  > > Anyone wanna make a playdate?
                                  > >
                                  > > Roy K.

                                • rekinrade
                                  Message 16 of 20 , 14 Sep, 2012
                                    > ..my friend Troy is going to run CC Ancients Epic Battles on Sunday morning at the convention.

                                    Sounds like fun. If there's a space free, I'm in

                                    > Also, have you ever tried Combat Commander?

                                    Heard lots of good things about it & always wanted to give it a try. If this is open to newbies I'd be >very< interested in playing.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , 14 Sep, 2012
                                      Roy, have you ever played Men of Iron or any of the other games in the series? My friend Ralph Shelton is the developer for the series and he is looking for some people to learn the system and try out the new scenarios for the next game in the series. The rules are very easy to pick up.
                                      Rob

                                      --- In BottosCon@..., "rekinrade" <rekinrade@...> wrote:

                                      > > ..my friend Troy is going to run CC Ancients Epic Battles on Sunday morning at the convention.
                                      >
                                      > Sounds like fun. If there's a space free, I'm in
                                      >

                                      > > Also, have you ever tried Combat Commander?
                                      >
                                      > Heard lots of good things about it & always wanted to give it a try. If this is open to newbies I'd be >very< interested in playing.
                                      >

                                      > --- In BottosCon@..., "robinkorea2002" <scouterrob@> wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > Roy, while it isn't CC Napoleonics, my friend Troy is going to run CC Ancients Epic Battles on Sunday morning at the convention.
                                      > >
                                      > > Also, have you ever tried Combat Commander? If you like Up Front, you'll find Combat Commander a very good game. Andrew Laws has some new scenarios for an upcoming Battlepack he is working on for GMT and he is looking for some people to take them out for a spin at BottosCon.
                                      > >
                                      > > Doug, Rick, Mat, or Duncan, are any of you guys up for getting in a game with Roy?
                                      > >
                                      > > Rob
                                      > > --- In BottosCon@..., "rekinrade" <rekinrade@> wrote:
                                      > > >

                                      > > > Hi One & All
                                      > > >
                                      > > > I'm still looking for a game, ideally on Saturday aft./eve. (Friday eve. is looking unlikely now).
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Last time I forgot to say that I also own a couple of the Victory Point Games' Napoleonic 20 series, if that makes a difference.
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Anyone interested?
                                      > > >
                                      > > > Roy K.

                                    • rekinrade
                                      Message 18 of 20 , 14 Sep, 2012
                                        Just FYI, I just found the game schedule for the con in the database section & have added my name for the CC games on Saturday morn & aft.

                                        > ..have you ever played Men of Iron..

                                        Can't say that I have, but it looks interesting from the description on the 'geek.

                                        Ralph's slot for this is Sat. morning, which would clash with the CC, unfortunately. Perhaps there'll be an opportunity to fit it in at some other point over the weekend..

                                        Message 19 of 20 , 14 Sep, 2012
                                          Roy, I was planning on doing both Men of Iron, and once done, then play some Combat Commander.
                                          Rob

                                          Message 20 of 20 , 14 Sep, 2012
                                            Roy and I discussed a game. But our schedules didn’t match up. I’m going to bring some ASLSK and VPG stuff in case Roy can play Friday or my Saturday evening has a spot. But that’ll be a pick up game.

                                            Duncan

                                            Sent: Friday, September 14, 2012 10:33 AM

                                            --- In mailto:BottosCon%40yahoogroups.ca, "rekinrade" <rekinrade@...> wrote:

                                            > Hi One &
                                            All

                                            > I'm still looking for a game, ideally on Saturday aft./eve.
                                            (Friday eve. is looking unlikely now).

                                            > Last time I forgot to
                                            say that I also own a couple of the Victory Point Games' Napoleonic 20 series, if that makes a difference.

                                            > Anyone interested?

                                            Roy K.