Canadian Con. Tent debrief

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 4 , 13 Nov, 2007
      Well guys, thought I'd break things down for you.

      We had 24 pre-registrations for the convention, out of which we had 6
      cancellations.13 guys showed up at the door for a grand total of 32
      actual gamers on site. Of the 31 there were 3 1 day attendees.

      So our overall costs were $1115.72 for a shortfall of $36.22. If we
      get the cost of one pot of coffee reversed we actually make a profit
      of $0.35.

      So all in all I think we did damm fine on the financials for this
      convention.

      In terms of attendance we had 37 people either pre-register or pay at
      the door. Of the 31 who actually attended, 7 were from either Oregon
      or Washington State, 4 were from Vancouver Island, 1 was from
      Gibsons, 1 was from Kamloops, 5 were from the Fraser Valley -
      Langley/ Maple Ridge/Mission, and the remaining 15 were from the
      Greater Vancouver area.

      In terms of games played we had 2 monster games, Case Blue, and 1914:
      Twilight in the East. We had 2 different World War II tactical games:
      ASL/ASLSK and Combat Commander, we had 2 air combat games: Wings of
      War and Downtown, 2 naval games: Flying Colors and Stephen Newberg's
      War at Sea variant, 4 multi-player games: Conquest of the Empire,
      Friederich, Here I Stand, and Looping Louie. We had 2 card driven
      games - Twilight Struggle and Here I Stand, and one purely Canadian
      wargame: Prairie Aflame. I also saw at least 2 old time SPI flat tray
      games: Year of the Rat and Winter War.

      At least 7 of the games introduced new players to the hobby or to a
      game system, 1 game had Euro leanings - Friederich.

      We had personalities from 6 different game companies:

      Michael Resch of GMT/Oregon Consim Games.
      Ian Weir/Michael Junkin/Roger Clewley of Red Sash Games.
      Stephen Newberg of Simulations Canada
      And our very own Mark Woloshen of Firefight/Khyber Pass Games.

      There was prize support from 3 game companies: GMT, KPG, MMP, 1
      graphic artist : RBM Studios, 1 gaming convention: Dragonflight, and
      1 magazine publisher: Armchair General.

      We've made inroads into the Vancouver Island gaming community, forged
      an alliance with the Vancouver ASL crowd, and established ourselves
      as a viable convention for our American friends.

      All the games were well received and there were no personality
      problems that I was aware of. So I think as a first time effort we
      set the bar high and exceeded our expectations.

      We even found a graphic artist to design next years convention logo
      and animated graphic: Jay White.

      So thank you to everyone who helped to make this convention the
      success it was. Thanks guys!!

      Things to think about for next year:

      1. Name the Convention, but I am partial to the present title.
      2. Design a new logo.
      3. Do we stick with the present location.
      4. Do we opt for a tiered registration process. cheaper rates for
      people who pre-register, and higher rates for those who do not?
      5. Do we raise rates so we can include coffee and tea and perhaps
      some nibbly bits?
      6. Do we want to include more formal events like a tournament or
      gaming seminar from local designers?
      7. Were you pleased with the level of prize support? Do prizes matter?
      8. Would you like to see either a games dealer on site for sales or
      perhaps a flea market for swapping/trading old games?

      Rob Bottos
    • icweir43
      Message 2 of 4 , 18 Nov, 2007
        just my own opinions:

        3) I found the location convenient.
        4) I'd vote against tiered registration, unless you found it did attract early money.
        5) A small $$ increase for goodies would be OK but not a major factor.
        6) I prefer unstructured gaming, but a tournament might be good - I think the teaching
        sessions that took place with ASL, etc. should be continued.
        7) Prizes are fun but not essential. I thought the quality of the prizes was quite good.
        8) As a dealer, of course I'm in favour of having a "booth" - and a flea market would be
        nice.

        Ian Weir

        Message 3 of 4 , 18 Nov, 2007

          > 3. Do we stick with the present location.

          Present location is fine with me- I wonder how easy the out-of-towners found it to find.

          > 4. Do we opt for a tiered registration process. cheaper rates for
          > people who pre-register, and higher rates for those who do not?

          If that helps you out, go for it.  I suppose it'll encourage people to sign up early, so game groups can be planned.  I go by the seat of my pants anyways, though.

          > 5. Do we raise rates so we can include coffee and tea and perhaps
          > some nibbly bits?

          I'm definitely in for the coffee.

          > 6. Do we want to include more formal events like a tournament or
          > gaming seminar from local designers?

          I like the open nature of things - a tournament might suck away players from other games.  I could imagine a small ASL tourney, though, since some ASL players don't play other games.  (i.e. I don't think it would affect the rest of the games played if there was a small ASL tourney)

          > 7. Were you pleased with the level of prize support? Do prizes matter?

          Prizes don't matter to me!

        • Rick White
          Message 4 of 4 , 19 Nov, 2007
            > 1. Name the Convention, but I am partial to the present title.
            I'm not a huge fan of Canadian Content. I doesn't sound like a gaming
            convention. It sounds like a CRTC regulation.

            > 2. Design a new logo.
            Don't care

            > 3. Do we stick with the present location.
            Location is very convenient for me. However if the con grows it will
            soon be too large for the rooms we had.

            > 4. Do we opt for a tiered registration process. cheaper rates for
            > people who pre-register, and higher rates for those who do not?
            I think a tiered price will encourage early registration. I think most
            conventions use it.

            > 5. Do we raise rates so we can include coffee and tea and perhaps
            > some nibbly bits?
            I think this is a bad idea. If I have to pay I want to choose what is
            bought. It will become a nightmare trying to satisfy 30+ peoples food
            and beverage choices.

            > 6. Do we want to include more formal events like a tournament or
            > gaming seminar from local designers?
            I don't see a reason to not allow them but I don't think they're
            necessary. I wouldn't attend a seminar and the only tournament I'm
            interested in is ASL.

            > 7. Were you pleased with the level of prize support? Do prizes matter?
            Prizes don't matter to me but I thought the number of posters was
            excessive. One prize per 10 attendees is enough I think.

            > 8. Would you like to see either a games dealer on site for sales or
            > perhaps a flea market for swapping/trading old games?
            I think this can wait until the con is more established.