Local GVRD connection to legendary WW II feat of arms

  • f9f_panther
    Message 1 of 2 , 21 Mar, 2013
      Gentles all,
      I share this because I find many wargamers are also history buffs, and thought some might find this interesting.

      Just finished reading Stephen Ambroses' book "Pegasus Bridge" which details the exploits of 6 Para on D-Day. Whilst doing a bit of follow-up research, I was surprised but saddened to read this very recent obituary for Jim Wallwork, who piloted Glider 1 that evening: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/theprovince/obituary.aspx?pid=162646160#fbLoggedOut

      Wallwork also flew gliders in the invasion of Sicily (where disaster struck 65 of the 150 gliders), D-Day, Market Garden (Arnhem Bridge, and Operation Varsity). Wallwork also has the peculiar honor of being the first allied soldier to touch French soil on D-day...although he was unconscious at the time, having been launched through the front of the glider upon landing.

      More on Wallwork, here: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/obituaries/jim-wallwork-decorated-glider-pilot-who-took-part-in-dday-and-operation-market-garden-8471686.html

      Godspeed Staff Sargeant Wallwork...Godspeed.
      Message 2 of 2 , 31 Mar, 2013
        Byron, thank you for sharing this. It's amazing how our WW II vets live lives of anonymity, and only in reading their obituaries do we realize that heroes were living amongst us. What a fantastic record he leaves behind.
        Rob