BottosCon aka Canadian Content

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 8 , 23 Apr, 2008
      Thought I'd send out an update on this year's convention. First as
      you may have noticed the name has been changed. I have bowed to
      popular demand, thanks Mr. Nick, and changed the name to Bottoscon.
      We may change this name sometime down the line but for this year,
      BottosCon it is and I guess that makes me BottosCon Actual for those
      of you that follow Battlestar Galactica.

      Secondly, we will be changing locations for this years Convention. We
      are in prelimnary discussions with a new hotel and once we have
      worked out the details we'll announce the new location. You may be
      asking why we are changing locations. There are a few reasons, first,
      if our convention is to grow, we will need a space larger than what
      the Best Western can provide. Secondly, the dates we needed were
      fully booked and I got the distinct impression that the hotel didn't
      really want our business. The new location we are talking to is eager
      for our business and understands what we as gamers need. So stay
      tuned.

      This year's dates are Friday November 7 - Sunday November 9th, 2008.
      This year's convention will look to expand on wargaming but will also
      look to include some Euro's and possibly a Diplomacy and or an ASL
      tournament.

      Also being discussed is a Standard Combat Series marathon/tournament.
      I'll be running Combat Commander again and you can expect to see
      Combat Commander Pacific as well. Last Year Art Brochet ran OCS Case
      Blue as our main monster game and I'm sure Art will do something
      similar this year. Who knows, maybe Gerry's The Devil's Cauldron will
      have finally shown up and make an appearance. Stay tuned for more
      details.

      Last year we had several gaming personalities, Stephen Newberg,
      Michael Resch, and Mark Woloshen to name a few and hopefully this
      year's convention we will be graced with their presence again.

      If you know of any otherway we can grow our numbers and keep costs
      down please get in contact with me. I'll be talking up our Con. at
      this year's GMT West and Dragonflight and I'm confident we can grow
      our numbers and make this years convention even better than last
      years.

      Take care and keep in contact.
    • edibirsan
      Message 2 of 8 , 3 May, 2008
        Andrew Nick sent out a notice about something to be called the World Diplomacy Federation
        and having its Annual International Championship at BottosCon.

        The Diplomacy hobby has a rather long (50 years almost) history of gaming and support for
        cons everywhere.

        In fact we held the official World Diplomacy Championship in VANCOUVER last August.
        If you had shown up and given a presentation it might help to make things easier for your
        own development of a con in Victoria.

        If you are going to have a Diplomacy event at your new con we would like to help.

        We can arrange for contacts of people in Vancouver, in Victoria, in Seattle and elsewhere that
        may help get things organized and help you on the Rah Rah part of running an event.

        Please advise
        Edi Birsan
      • Rob
        Message 3 of 8 , 3 May, 2008
          Ed, last year's convention was thrown together in a little over 2
          months andso there wasn't really a chance to get the word out to the
          Diplomacy players. This year we have 6 months to get ready for our
          convention and if you like I can arrange for a few of our club
          members who play diplomacy to put in an appearance at your convention
          to 1. support your Con. and 2. promote our Con.

          I personally don't play diplomacy, tried it a few years ago but found
          the game to be too cut throat and the guys I played with all ganged
          up on the new guy. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

          A couple of quick points.
          1. We are aiming for an atendance between 50 - 75 gamers.
          2. The hotel we are looking at in Surrey will have 2100 sq. ft. of
          space for gaming tbles.
          3. We are attempting to include a Western Canada ASL tournament.
          4. Would you be willing to have 1 diplomacy game run to attract new
          players to the hobby?
          5. the hotel we are looking at is in Surrey, BC and we should know
          in the next day or two if the location is viable.

          Any help you can offer is appreciated. Once I have a confirmed
          location I will be in contact and we can discuss matters further.
          Rob Bottos

          --- In canadiancontent@..., "edibirsan" <EdiBirsan@...>
          wrote:

          > Andrew Nick sent out a notice about something to be called the
          World Diplomacy Federation
          > and having its Annual International Championship at BottosCon.
          >
          > The Diplomacy hobby has a rather long (50 years almost) history of
          gaming and support for
          > cons everywhere.
          >
          > In fact we held the official World Diplomacy Championship in
          VANCOUVER last August.
          > If you had shown up and given a presentation it might help to make
          things easier for your
          > own development of a con in Victoria.
          >
          > If you are going to have a Diplomacy event at your new con we would
          like to help.

          > We can arrange for contacts of people in Vancouver, in Victoria, in
          Seattle and elsewhere that
          > may help get things organized and help you on the Rah Rah part of
          running an event.

          > Please advise
          > Edi Birsan

        • Edi Birsan
          Message 4 of 8 , 3 May, 2008
            I have copied in a few people in your local area.
            Please get a hold of Nic Andrew and tell him that the Grandiose
            approach is a little off at this stage.

            Edi Birsan
            EdiBirsan at astound.net

            On May 3, 2008, at 7:49 PM, Rob wrote:

            > Ed, last year's convention was thrown together in a little over 2
            > months andso there wasn't really a chance to get the word out to the
            > Diplomacy players. This year we have 6 months to get ready for our
            > convention and if you like I can arrange for a few of our club
            > members who play diplomacy to put in an appearance at your convention
            > to 1. support your Con. and 2. promote our Con.
            >
            > I personally don't play diplomacy, tried it a few years ago but found
            > the game to be too cut throat and the guys I played with all ganged
            > up on the new guy. It left a bad taste in my mouth.
            >
            > A couple of quick points.
            > 1. We are aiming for an atendance between 50 - 75 gamers.
            > 2. The hotel we are looking at in Surrey will have 2100 sq. ft. of
            > space for gaming tbles.
            > 3. We are attempting to include a Western Canada ASL tournament.
            > 4. Would you be willing to have 1 diplomacy game run to attract new
            > players to the hobby?
            > 5. the hotel we are looking at is in Surrey, BC and we should know
            > in the next day or two if the location is viable.
            >
            > Any help you can offer is appreciated. Once I have a confirmed
            > location I will be in contact and we can discuss matters further.
            > Rob Bottos
            >

            > --- In canadiancontent@..., "edibirsan" <EdiBirsan@...>
            > wrote:
            >>
            >> Andrew Nick sent out a notice about something to be called the
            > World Diplomacy Federation
            >> and having its Annual International Championship at BottosCon.
            >>
            >> The Diplomacy hobby has a rather long (50 years almost) history of
            > gaming and support for
            >> cons everywhere.
            >>
            >> In fact we held the official World Diplomacy Championship in
            > VANCOUVER last August.
            >> If you had shown up and given a presentation it might help to make
            > things easier for your
            >> own development of a con in Victoria.
            >>
            >> If you are going to have a Diplomacy event at your new con we would
            > like to help.
            >>
            >> We can arrange for contacts of people in Vancouver, in Victoria, in
            > Seattle and elsewhere that
            >> may help get things organized and help you on the Rah Rah part of
            > running an event.
            >>
            >> Please advise
            >> Edi Birsan

          • Rob
            Message 5 of 8 , 4 May, 2008
              Ed, Andrew Nick is a friend of mine and we are in regular contact.
              Not sure I know what you mean by the Grandiose approach at this
              stage??

              wrote:

              > I have copied in a few people in your local area.
              > Please get a hold of Nic Andrew and tell him that the Grandiose
              > approach is a little off at this stage.
              >

              > Edi Birsan
              > EdiBirsan at astound.net
              >

              > On May 3, 2008, at 7:49 PM, Rob wrote:
              >
              > > Ed, last year's convention was thrown together in a little over 2
              > > months andso there wasn't really a chance to get the word out to
              the
              > > Diplomacy players. This year we have 6 months to get ready for our
              > > convention and if you like I can arrange for a few of our club
              > > members who play diplomacy to put in an appearance at your
              convention
              > > to 1. support your Con. and 2. promote our Con.
              > >
              > > I personally don't play diplomacy, tried it a few years ago but
              found
              > > the game to be too cut throat and the guys I played with all
              ganged
              > > up on the new guy. It left a bad taste in my mouth.
              > >
              > > A couple of quick points.
              > > 1. We are aiming for an atendance between 50 - 75 gamers.
              > > 2. The hotel we are looking at in Surrey will have 2100 sq. ft. of
              > > space for gaming tbles.
              > > 3. We are attempting to include a Western Canada ASL tournament.
              > > 4. Would you be willing to have 1 diplomacy game run to attract
              new
              > > players to the hobby?
              > > 5. the hotel we are looking at is in Surrey, BC and we should know
              > > in the next day or two if the location is viable.
              > >
              > > Any help you can offer is appreciated. Once I have a confirmed
              > > location I will be in contact and we can discuss matters further.
              > > Rob Bottos
              > >

              > > --- In canadiancontent@..., "edibirsan" <EdiBirsan@>
              > > wrote:
              > >>
              > >> Andrew Nick sent out a notice about something to be called the
              > > World Diplomacy Federation
              > >> and having its Annual International Championship at BottosCon.
              > >>
              > >> The Diplomacy hobby has a rather long (50 years almost) history
              of
              > > gaming and support for
              > >> cons everywhere.
              > >>
              > >> In fact we held the official World Diplomacy Championship in
              > > VANCOUVER last August.
              > >> If you had shown up and given a presentation it might help to
              make
              > > things easier for your
              > >> own development of a con in Victoria.
              > >>
              > >> If you are going to have a Diplomacy event at your new con we
              would
              > > like to help.
              > >>
              > >> We can arrange for contacts of people in Vancouver, in Victoria,
              in
              > > Seattle and elsewhere that
              > >> may help get things organized and help you on the Rah Rah part of
              > > running an event.
              > >>
              > >> Please advise
              > >> Edi Birsan

            • Edi Birsan
              Message 6 of 8 , 4 May, 2008
                Andrew sent out a general notice from the 'World Diplomacy
                Federation' that its Annual International Diplomacy Championship
                would be held in your event.

                The WDF was a failed idea from the 90's (unknown to Andrew) and was
                made up by Andrew to give the event some attraction along with the
                name of Annual International Diplomacy Championship which sort of
                conflicts the real World Diplomacy Championship as an added bit of
                hype. The combination did not sit well or give a good impression,
                but it did attract some attention, so maybe it will work out in the
                end when he refocuses down to the Diplomacy event at the BottosCon.

                Edi Birsan
                EdiBirsan at astound.net

                On May 4, 2008, at 10:52 PM, Rob wrote:

                > Not sure I know what you mean by the Grandiose approach at this
                > stage??
              • Rob
                Message 7 of 8 , 4 May, 2008
                  Thanks for the information Edi. when is you event in August and what
                  is the cost to attend? If you give me the information, i'll post a
                  link in our convention folder.

                  wrote:

                  > Andrew sent out a general notice from the 'World Diplomacy
                  > Federation' that its Annual International Diplomacy Championship
                  > would be held in your event.
                  >
                  > The WDF was a failed idea from the 90's (unknown to Andrew) and
                  was
                  > made up by Andrew to give the event some attraction along with the
                  > name of Annual International Diplomacy Championship which sort of
                  > conflicts the real World Diplomacy Championship as an added bit of
                  > hype. The combination did not sit well or give a good impression,
                  > but it did attract some attention, so maybe it will work out in
                  the
                  > end when he refocuses down to the Diplomacy event at the BottosCon.
                  >

                  > Edi Birsan
                  > EdiBirsan at astound.net
                  >

                  > On May 4, 2008, at 10:52 PM, Rob wrote:
                  >
                  > > Not sure I know what you mean by the Grandiose approach at this
                  > > stage??

                • Edi Birsan
                  Message 8 of 8 , 4 May, 2008
                    I have no event to plug in August in Canada, however, Mike Hall in
                    Victoria has plans for a massive house con then which can handle 30
                    or so people.

                    You can contact Mike direct at the email above.
                    Edi Birsan
                    EdiBirsan at astound.net