website issues

    Message 1 of 12 , 27 Sep, 2013
      It seems for some reason that our yahoo page is experiencing problems and people are finding that the functionality of the page is too limiting. I have zero experience in building webpages, and have virtually no knowledge of HTML. Is there someone in our group that would be willing to help find and build us a new webpage for next year's convention?
      Rob
    • oldguy59_wgf
      Message 2 of 12 , 27 Sep, 2013
        --- In BottosCon@..., "robinkorea2002" <scouterrob@...> wrote:

        > It seems for some reason that our yahoo page is experiencing problems and people are finding that the functionality of the page is too limiting. I have zero experience in building webpages, and have virtually no knowledge of HTML. Is there someone in our group that would be willing to help find and build us a new webpage for next year's convention?
        > Rob

        Rob,
        Guess what I'm doing this fall-winter?

        I'm taking a one year college program in Web Design. By Summer next year, I should have a Certificate. HTML, CSS, Java Scripting, graphic and communication design (this includes training in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop).

        So, if my brain doesn't explode, I might be your dude. Check out my infant web page in-the-making here: "mowen.imgd.ca". It's pretty sketchy now, but it will be much better by Christmas. The Winter semester will have me Java scripting, and then it will, hopefully, get really skookum.

        Mike :-)
        Message 3 of 12 , 27 Sep, 2013
          Mike, not sure what happened to the times for the WoG events. What are the specific start times and I will add them to the database.
          Rob

          PS. That's great news about the webdesign course.

          --- In BottosCon@..., "oldguy59_wgf" <t.michael.owen@...> wrote:

          > --- In BottosCon@..., "robinkorea2002" <scouterrob@> wrote:
          > >
          > > It seems for some reason that our yahoo page is experiencing problems and people are finding that the functionality of the page is too limiting. I have zero experience in building webpages, and have virtually no knowledge of HTML. Is there someone in our group that would be willing to help find and build us a new webpage for next year's convention?
          > > Rob
          > >
          > Rob,
          > Guess what I'm doing this fall-winter?
          >
          > I'm taking a one year college program in Web Design. By Summer next year, I should have a Certificate. HTML, CSS, Java Scripting, graphic and communication design (this includes training in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop).
          >
          > So, if my brain doesn't explode, I might be your dude. Check out my infant web page in-the-making here: "mowen.imgd.ca". It's pretty sketchy now, but it will be much better by Christmas. The Winter semester will have me Java scripting, and then it will, hopefully, get really skookum.
          >
          > Mike :-)

        • oldguy59_wgf
          Message 4 of 12 , 27 Sep, 2013
            Rob,
            I had to change the directory on the web site for one of the professors, and the budding site is in the "myweb" folder.

            I will try and edit the database, and put the timings back. If that doesn't work, I will contact you.

            Mike :-)

            --- In BottosCon@..., "robinkorea2002" <scouterrob@...> wrote:

            > Mike, not sure what happened to the times for the WoG events. What are the specific start times and I will add them to the database.
            > Rob
            >
            > PS. That's great news about the webdesign course.
            >
            > --- In BottosCon@..., "oldguy59_wgf" <t.michael.owen@> wrote:
            > >

            > > --- In BottosCon@..., "robinkorea2002" <scouterrob@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > It seems for some reason that our yahoo page is experiencing problems and people are finding that the functionality of the page is too limiting. I have zero experience in building webpages, and have virtually no knowledge of HTML. Is there someone in our group that would be willing to help find and build us a new webpage for next year's convention?
            > > > Rob
            > > >
            > > Rob,
            > > Guess what I'm doing this fall-winter?
            > >
            > > I'm taking a one year college program in Web Design. By Summer next year, I should have a Certificate. HTML, CSS, Java Scripting, graphic and communication design (this includes training in Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop).
            > >
            > > So, if my brain doesn't explode, I might be your dude. Check out my infant web page in-the-making here: "mowen.imgd.ca". It's pretty sketchy now, but it will be much better by Christmas. The Winter semester will have me Java scripting, and then it will, hopefully, get really skookum.
            > >
            > > Mike :-)

          • oldguy59_wgf
            Message 5 of 12 , 27 Sep, 2013
              Rob,
              I added info on games to the 2012 schedule, originally, not the 2013. So, I attempted to fix that, but can't edit after it is submitted. Anyway, everything except the notes for Friday night is now up.

              Mike :-)

              Message 6 of 12 , 27 Sep, 2013
                Mike, I saw the new events added. Just one thought/suggestion, on Saturday night I get a group of us together to have dinner and this is when I buy dinner for the people who have helped me out with the convention. Why not push the 1800 start time on Saturday to 1900 so we can have dinner?
                Rob
                --- In BottosCon@..., "oldguy59_wgf" <t.michael.owen@...> wrote:

                > Rob,
                > I added info on games to the 2012 schedule, originally, not the 2013. So, I attempted to fix that, but can't edit after it is submitted. Anyway, everything except the notes for Friday night is now up.
                >
                > Mike :-)
                >
                > --- In BottosCon@..., "oldguy59_wgf" <t.michael.owen@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Rob,
                > > I had to change the directory on the web site for one of the professors, and the budding site is in the "myweb" folder.
                > >
                > > I will try and edit the database, and put the timings back. If that doesn't work, I will contact you.
                > >
                > > Mike :-)
                > >
                > > --- In BottosCon@..., "robinkorea2002" <scouterrob@> wrote:
                > > >

                > > > Mike, not sure what happened to the times for the WoG events. What are the specific start times and I will add them to the database.
                > > > Rob
                > > >
                > > > PS. That's great news about the webdesign course.

              • oldguy59_wgf
                Message 7 of 12 , 27 Sep, 2013
                  Whatever. I was trying to keep the 'tournament' from being too late, for any young entrants. The new schedule doesn't seem to allow editing, once entered.

                  I was going to put a note on Friday night, but closed it prematurely. '10 RNAS Black Flight takes it to the Germans in May 1917!'

                  Mike :-)
                  --- In BottosCon@..., "robinkorea2002" <scouterrob@...> wrote:

                  > Mike, I saw the new events added. Just one thought/suggestion, on Saturday night I get a group of us together to have dinner and this is when I buy dinner for the people who have helped me out with the convention. Why not push the 1800 start time on Saturday to 1900 so we can have dinner?
                  > Rob
                  > --- In BottosCon@..., "oldguy59_wgf" <t.michael.owen@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Rob,
                  > > I added info on games to the 2012 schedule, originally, not the 2013. So, I attempted to fix that, but can't edit after it is submitted. Anyway, everything except the notes for Friday night is now up.
                  > >
                  > > Mike :-)
                  > >
                  > > --- In BottosCon@..., "oldguy59_wgf" <t.michael.owen@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Rob,
                  > > > I had to change the directory on the web site for one of the professors, and the budding site is in the "myweb" folder.
                  > > >
                  > > > I will try and edit the database, and put the timings back. If that doesn't work, I will contact you.
                  > > >
                  > > > Mike :-)

                • jeffchristensen66
                  Message 8 of 12 , 30 Sep, 2013
                    Rob,

                    What problems are people having with this site?

                    Message 9 of 12 , 30 Sep, 2013
                      Jeff, the main complaint seems to be that posted messages are sometimes taking a few days to show up, and in some cases they don't show up at all. People don't like the present message forum or the database I've built to keep track of the games.
                      Rob
                      --- In BottosCon@..., "jeffchristensen66" <jeff.r.christensen@...> wrote:

                      > Rob,
                      >
                      > What problems are people having with this site?
                      >

                      > --- In BottosCon@..., "robinkorea2002" <scouterrob@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > It seems for some reason that our yahoo page is experiencing problems and people are finding that the functionality of the page is too limiting. I have zero experience in building webpages, and have virtually no knowledge of HTML. Is there someone in our group that would be willing to help find and build us a new webpage for next year's convention?
                      > > Rob

                    • Michel Boucher
                      Message 10 of 12 , 30 Sep, 2013
                        On 30 Sep 2013 at 22:00, robinkorea2002 wrote:

                        > People don't
                        > like the present message forum or the database I've built to keep
                        > track of the games.

                        For the record, I have no objection to the database. It is available to all who
                        subscribe to the group and that's basically all you need.

                        Yahoo has been squirelly of late.
                      • jeffchristensen66
                        Message 11 of 12 , 1 Oct, 2013
                          The issue with the posting delays has been resolved by Yahoo.

                          The database problem seems to have been a one off where someone's data was inadvertently deleted.

                          I think it would be a big mistake to try to switch from using Yahoo to anything else to run the online presence of the convention. Especially to go to some hand built generic web site.

                          Yahoo groups has one thing going for it that is going to be a pain to migrate from and that is that you have a registration system that has people registered. By having people signup for the group you have in effect got a registration system. Plus you've got everyone trained that this is how it works. Even if you build or use another system you are still going to have migrate everyone over. Just explaining that to everyone is going to be painful.

                          I can help manage the database.

                          Thanks.

                          Message 12 of 12 , 1 Oct, 2013
                            Sounds good Jeff. I'd prefer to keep things simple and free :) One thing I think we need to do is cleanup the membership database and get rid of duplicate memberships. I suppose as part of the registration process we can have the site email new members who join the convention registration details, is. Costs and this can be updated as needed each year. Thank you for your help and insight.