Black Friday sales on Wings of War stuff

  • f9f_panther
    Message 1 of 11 , 30 Nov, 2013
      Gentles all,

      Those who played and enjoyed Wings of War / Wings of Glory at Bottoscon 2013 may want to stock up on planes etc at the two following on-line sales:

      http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/1666?&resultsperpage=25&page=2

      http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/client/client_pages/sale2013.cfm?catid=all#cat20

      Also...I believe Noble Knight has 50% on almost everything this weekend.
      http://www.nobleknight.com/

      Happy Thanksgiving to any and all of our 'merican friends.

      Yours in wargaming,

      Byron
      Message 2 of 11 , 2 Dec, 2013
        Byron, thanks for sharing the information. I got a few planes from Cool Stuff Inc.
        Rob
        --- In BottosCon@..., "f9f_panther" <byronsalahor@...> wrote:

        > Gentles all,
        >
        > Those who played and enjoyed Wings of War / Wings of Glory at Bottoscon 2013 may want to stock up on planes etc at the two following on-line sales:
        >
        > http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/1666?&resultsperpage=25&page=2
        >
        > http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/client/client_pages/sale2013.cfm?catid=all#cat20
        >
        > Also...I believe Noble Knight has 50% on almost everything this weekend.
        > http://www.nobleknight.com/
        >
        > Happy Thanksgiving to any and all of our 'merican friends.
        >
        > Yours in wargaming,
        >
        > Byron

      • Roger Leroux
        Message 3 of 11 , 2 Dec, 2013
          I didn't know what to get so ended up getting nothing. :(

          What's the Wings of Glory 101 kit?

          Message 4 of 11 , 3 Dec, 2013
            Roger, not sure what the Wings of Glory 101 kit I'd. Where did you see it?
            Rob
            --- In BottosCon@..., Roger Leroux <yrl1967@...> wrote:

            > I didn't know what to get so ended up getting nothing. :(
            >
            > What's the Wings of Glory 101 kit?
            >

            > On Mon, Dec 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM, robinkorea2002 <scouterrob@...> wrote:
            >

            > > Byron, thanks for sharing the information. I got a few planes from Cool
            > > Stuff Inc.
            > > Rob
            > >
            > > --- In BottosCon@..., "f9f_panther" <byronsalahor@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Gentles all,
            > > >
            > > > Those who played and enjoyed Wings of War / Wings of Glory at Bottoscon
            > > 2013 may want to stock up on planes etc at the two following on-line sales:
            > > >
            > > > http://www.coolstuffinc.com/page/1666?&resultsperpage=25&page=2
            > > >

            > > http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/client/client_pages/sale2013.cfm?catid=all#cat20
            > > >
            > > > Also...I believe Noble Knight has 50% on almost everything this weekend.
            > > > http://www.nobleknight.com/
            > > >
            > > > Happy Thanksgiving to any and all of our 'merican friends.
            > > >
            > > > Yours in wargaming,
            > > >
            > > > Byron

          • Roger Leroux
            Message 5 of 11 , 3 Dec, 2013
              I'm using 101 in e same sense as one night talk about English 101 or Math 101 or Subject 101 at university - in other words, what ought the budding Wings of Glory buy in order to get the basics of everything they need to play?

              Roger

              Sent from my iPad

              Message 6 of 11 , 3 Dec, 2013
                Ah, now I get it. To get right into the game with the rules you could pick up one of the Duel Packs. They contain 2 miniatures as well as the basic and standard rules if I recall correctly.

                When Fantasy Flight Games had the license for the game they put out 4 boxed sets that introduced different planes and the rules needed for them. The boxed sets included cards for the planes.

                Famous Aces - single seaters. Fokker Dr I, Albatross DVa, Sopwith Camel, Spad XIII, and the Sopwith Tri-plane. Included the A damage deck.

                Watch Your Back - introduced 2 seaters.

                Burnning Drachens - more single seaters, Balloons, and the C and D damage decks.

                Flight of the Giants - bombers.

                When Ares Games obtained the rights, they consolidated all the rules into one manual, included all the damage decks and markers you'd need to play but shifted away from cards for the planes and made it necessary to get the miniatures.

                So, if you're starting out I'd suggest one of the Duel packs.

                Rob
                --- In BottosCon@..., Roger Leroux <yrl1967@...> wrote:

                > I'm using 101 in e same sense as one night talk about English 101 or Math 101 or Subject 101 at university - in other words, what ought the budding Wings of Glory buy in order to get the basics of everything they need to play?
                >
                > Roger
                >
                > Sent from my iPad
                >
                > On 2013-12-03, at 6:10 AM, "robinkorea2002" <scouterrob@...> wrote:
                >

                > > Roger, not sure what the Wings of Glory 101 kit I'd. Where did you see it?
                > > Rob
                > > --- In BottosCon@..., Roger Leroux <yrl1967@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I didn't know what to get so ended up getting nothing. :(
                > > >
                > > > What's the Wings of Glory 101 kit?

              • Roger Leroux
                Message 7 of 11 , 3 Dec, 2013
                  I have a duel pack, the one I won at BottosCon. I was wondering what's next. :)

                  Roger
                  Sent from my iPhone - please blame autocorrect

                  On 2013-12-03, at 10:53, "robinkorea2002" <scouterrob@...> wrote:

                  Ah, now I get it. To get right into the game with the rules you could pick up one of the Duel Packs. They contain 2 miniatures as well as the basic and standard rules if I recall correctly.

                  When Fantasy Flight Games had the license for the game they put out 4 boxed sets that introduced different planes and the rules needed for them. The boxed sets included cards for the planes.

                  Famous Aces - single seaters. Fokker Dr I, Albatross DVa, Sopwith Camel, Spad XIII, and the Sopwith Tri-plane. Included the A damage deck.

                  Watch Your Back - introduced 2 seaters.

                  Burnning Drachens - more single seaters, Balloons, and the C and D damage decks.

                  Flight of the Giants - bombers.

                  When Ares Games obtained the rights, they consolidated all the rules into one manual, included all the damage decks and markers you'd need to play but shifted away from cards for the planes and made it necessary to get the miniatures.

                  So, if you're starting out I'd suggest one of the Duel packs.

                  Rob
                  --- In BottosCon@..., Roger Leroux <yrl1967@...> wrote:

                  > I'm using 101 in e same sense as one night talk about English 101 or Math 101 or Subject 101 at university - in other words, what ought the budding Wings of Glory buy in order to get the basics of everything they need to play?
                  >
                  > Roger
                  >
                  > Sent from my iPad
                  >
                  > On 2013-12-03, at 6:10 AM, "robinkorea2002" <scouterrob@...> wrote:
                  >

                  > > Roger, not sure what the Wings of Glory 101 kit I'd. Where did you see it?
                  > > Rob
                  > > --- In BottosCon@..., Roger Leroux <yrl1967@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I didn't know what to get so ended up getting nothing. :(
                  > > >
                  > > > What's the Wings of Glory 101 kit?

                • oldguy59_wgf
                  Message 8 of 11 , 4 Dec, 2013
                    Roger,
                    I think that perhaps the best ease into the hobby would be the second Dual Pack. Two more planes and an extra set of rules (especially another Damage Deck!). With short games between up to four planes, you only really need one Damage Deck. However, if you get more planes, and fly up to eight, one Damage Deck will never do.

                    After you have the four "starter planes", you could expand out to others. The four starter planes are very different to fly, and give you a very good overview of the game, and the value for the Dual Packs is really good. Depending on which Dual Pack you got, the planes fly very differently. The SPAD is a point and shoot plane, scooting through the fight and doing the about turn to get back (the turning radius on this fast plane is terrible). The Albatros is a good flyer with an average turn radius (the inline engine doesn't give any advantages in turns). Both the Camel and the Fokker Triplane are very maneuverable, but not as fast, each having advantages close in, but not much speed. So, a really good variety to learn with.

                    After that, if you really like the game, I would stick to the later aircraft (at first). This gives more options on group play. Getting early planes and trying to fly them against later planes (DH2 vs an Albatros Va) is suicide for the early pilot, unless he/she is very good.

                    After you have collected about eight planes (getting a few of the above for wingmen, and pairs flying), go for the new Rules and Accessory Pack. Then, go for two-seater planes and earlier planes to expand options and scenarios. If you are still crazy about the game, then, Bombers, Balloons, and later planes. I suggest getting the later planes last, because they tend to spoil new players for the earlier ones (very maneuverable, reasonably fast, good damage ratings, dual machine guns... You get the idea).

                    Does that help? Or is that more of another sample of crack?

                    Good Luck, and favourable tail winds!

                    Mike :)

                    --- In BottosCon@..., Roger Leroux <yrl1967@...> wrote:

                    > I have a duel pack, the one I won at BottosCon. I was wondering what's next. :)
                    >
                    > Roger
                    > Sent from my iPhone - please blame autocorrect
                    >
                    > On 2013-12-03, at 10:53, "robinkorea2002" <scouterrob@...> wrote:
                    >

                    > > Ah, now I get it. To get right into the game with the rules you could pick up one of the Duel Packs. They contain 2 miniatures as well as the basic and standard rules if I recall correctly.
                    > >
                    > > When Fantasy Flight Games had the license for the game they put out 4 boxed sets that introduced different planes and the rules needed for them. The boxed sets included cards for the planes.
                    > >
                    > > Famous Aces - single seaters. Fokker Dr I, Albatross DVa, Sopwith Camel, Spad XIII, and the Sopwith Tri-plane. Included the A damage deck.
                    > >
                    > > Watch Your Back - introduced 2 seaters.
                    > >
                    > > Burnning Drachens - more single seaters, Balloons, and the C and D damage decks.
                    > >
                    > > Flight of the Giants - bombers.
                    > >
                    > > When Ares Games obtained the rights, they consolidated all the rules into one manual, included all the damage decks and markers you'd need to play but shifted away from cards for the planes and made it necessary to get the miniatures.
                    > >
                    > > So, if you're starting out I'd suggest one of the Duel packs.
                    > >
                    > > Rob
                    > > --- In BottosCon@..., Roger Leroux <yrl1967@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I'm using 101 in e same sense as one night talk about English 101 or Math 101 or Subject 101 at university - in other words, what ought the budding Wings of Glory buy in order to get the basics of everything they need to play?
                    > > >
                    > > > Roger
                    > > >
                    > > > Sent from my iPad

                  • oldguy59_wgf
                    Message 9 of 11 , 4 Dec, 2013
                      Roger,
                      Something I may have mis-stated. Later planes (IE: Camels, SPAD XIIIs, Fokker Dr.1s, and Albatros DVas) are the 1916-17 planes I was suggesting for the first batch. The really good planes, the other "later" planes I mentioned below, are the 1917-1918 planes (IE: Fokker DVIIs, Pfalz D.IIIs, Sopwith Snipes, SE5as). These should be called "End of War" planes.

                      Sorry for any confusion.

                      Mike :)

                      --- In BottosCon@..., "oldguy59_wgf" <t.michael.owen@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > >
                      > > > When Fantasy Flight Games had the license for the game they put out 4 boxed sets that introduced different planes and the rules needed for them. The boxed sets included cards for the planes.
                      > > >
                      > > > Famous Aces - single seaters. Fokker Dr I, Albatross DVa, Sopwith Camel, Spad XIII, and the Sopwith Tri-plane. Included the A damage deck.
                      > > >
                      > > > Watch Your Back - introduced 2 seaters.
                      > > >
                      > > > Burnning Drachens - more single seaters, Balloons, and the C and D damage decks.
                      > > >
                      > > > Flight of the Giants - bombers.
                      > > >
                      > > > When Ares Games obtained the rights, they consolidated all the rules into one manual, included all the damage decks and markers you'd need to play but shifted away from cards for the planes and made it necessary to get the miniatures.
                      > > >
                      > > > So, if you're starting out I'd suggest one of the Duel packs.

                    • Roger Leroux
                      Message 10 of 11 , 4 Dec, 2013
                        Thanks for the tips Mike, much obliged.

                        Message 11 of 11 , 4 Dec, 2013
                          Great post Mike. Geoff Conn is looking for people to join him at GottaCon. Did you get his contact info at BottosCon when you were teaching him the WW II version of the game?