IntroductoryIntroductory Wargames at BottosCon 2014

    Message 1 of 12 , 5 Aug, 2014

      Guys, Rick Smith, rick_ww@..., will be coordinating/overseeing introductory wargames at BottosCon this year. If there is an introductory wargame you want to run, or learn, please message Rick Smith.

      Rob Bottos

    • Troy Chard
      Message 2 of 12 , 6 Aug, 2014
        Hi Guys,

        Coincidentally, on this topic, I just saw this this morning.  Is good stuff.

        http://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/2csl51/how_to_explain_games_a_guide_from_a_professional/

        It's surprising how often, when we try to explain games, that we get absorbed in minutiae.  I love that the first point is: Explain the objective.  Often both explanations and the printed rules fail to do this.

        Fr'instance, there are Richard Berg games where I will intentionally go right to the end of the rules to see how to win the game and then hop-scotch backwards through the rules to back-fill the rest of the algorithm (and yes, our board-games are essentially algorithms, but that's another story).

        There are other good points in here as well.  Frequently when people explain a game, they do it in an ad hoc fashion and for every rule they present, before even finishing that thought, they want to point out all the exceptions to the rule :(  but, but... I still haven't got my head around the rule yet (and I still don't know how that rule fits in with the objective... sigh) (ah! And I see here this is the first point he mentions in the "Don't" section... I recall once getting really frustrated about this specific point while listening to endless digressions of exceptions to a rule.  People just assumed I was cranky... go figure ;)

        Anyway, hope this helps :)

        Troy
        Message 3 of 12 , 11 Aug, 2014
          Troy, will you be attending this year and are you running CC Epic Ancients again?
        • Troy Chard
          Message 4 of 12 , 12 Aug, 2014
            Hi Rob,

            I was gonna wait to hear your thoughts, but I'm certainly open to it and
            it's always pretty fun at conventions.

            Am watching for other game openings/options... well, anything ancient
            roman seems to be my thing these days (obsessively it seems) :)

            Troy
            Message 5 of 12 , 12 Aug, 2014
              Troy, CC Epic Ancients is a great convention game and a good gateway game. It's your call if you want to run it. I'm looking for a 4th player for Successor's on Friday at noon.
            • Gary Gilliam
              Message 6 of 12 , 12 Aug, 2014
                Hey Rob,

                Have you been to Wood Badge?

                Gary Gilliam
                425.614.9735

                Message 7 of 12 , 12 Aug, 2014
                  Ok, sounds good Rob. Maybe you and me have a big CCA Epic Ancients
                  rematch on the Saturday afternoon? (with up to 6 others playing with us).

                  Troy
                • Ryan Blaney
                  Message 8 of 12 , 12 Aug, 2014
                    I am definitely in for that game!

                    Sent from my iPad

                    On 2014-08-12, at 8:58 PM, "Troy Chard troy.chard@... [BottosCon]" <BottosCon@...> wrote:

                    Ok, sounds good Rob. Maybe you and me have a big CCA Epic Ancients
                    rematch on the Saturday afternoon? (with up to 6 others playing with us).

                    Troy

                  • anthonysantiag0
                    Message 9 of 12 , 13 Aug, 2014
                      Sign me up for Successors Rob!
                      Message 10 of 12 , 13 Aug, 2014
                        Rematch :-)
                      • danielcar67
                        Message 11 of 12 , 13 Aug, 2014
                          How about Conflict of Heroes?
                          Dan C.
                          Seattle
                        • Troy Chard
                          Message 12 of 12 , 14 Aug, 2014
                            Hi Rob,

                            If you end up with enough people for 2 tables of Successors, I wouldn't
                            mind another go at that one myself.

                            Troy