Wings of Glory

  • oldguy59_wgf
    Message 1 of 9 , 6 Aug, 2014
      All,
      I had too much fun last year, so I'm coming back.

      I will fill up a full schedule of Wings of Glory WWI scenarios, for Friday evening to Saturday evening.  The Forssmann Bomber is back with the Northwest Historical Miniature Gaming Society, so I am trying to find a replacement.  If I can get what I want, it will be featured in a Saturday Afternoon game, and it will be as, or more, impressive than the Forssmann!  It will also be historically accurate for the period.

      By November, I will have a group of End of War planes (SE5as/Snipes and Fokker D.VIIs) to start the weekend with a serious furball intro (Friday evening).

      All you hard core gamers should consider a pause for a great "beer and pretzels" simulation of WWI aerial combat.  Yes, skill will help, but the random damage from the card-draw system will be somewhat of an equalizer for the novices.

      Mike (OldGuy59 - wingsofwar.org)

    • Roger Leroux

        Message 3 of 9 , 6 Aug, 2014
          Mike, I have 2 Fokker DVII's as well as 4 SSDIII's and a pair of Snopes if needed.
        • oldguy59_wgf
          Message 4 of 9 , 6 Aug, 2014
            Rob,
            I will have 5 D.VIIs and 5 Snipes.  However, I have only one each of the SE5As and SS D.IIIs.  Oh, and a D.VIII!

            Depending on how many wish to play, two planes per person would be nice.  We'll have to see if we get some pre-registrations.  Bring planes, and we'll wing it.

            Mike :)
            Message 5 of 9 , 6 Aug, 2014
              Sounds good Mike. I quite like how the SSDIII's fly.
            • hogan_mm
              Message 6 of 9 , 11 Aug, 2014
                Hi Mike,

                Your game looked gorgeous at the last con. So I would like to join your Friday night furball.

                I know that you had several paper-built planes. I am a newbie to the game but enjoy building paper models: What beyond the plane model do you need to have/buy to be able to fly the plane in the game?

                Cheers,

                Martin
              • oldguy59_wgf
                Message 7 of 9 , 11 Aug, 2014
                  Martin,
                  To play a plane you need a stand, a stats card and a maneuver deck for that particular plane.  If you are using altitude rules you need an adjustable stand, or an altitude indicator of some type.

                  Check out the forum at "wingsofwar.org" for all sorts of how-tos, downloadable files and other goodies. There are custom airplane cards there, and I can help with custom cards, too.

                  Mike :)
                • Martin Hogan
                  Message 8 of 9 , 15 Aug, 2014
                    Hi Mike,

                    Great, thanks a lot! I just purchase all four Wings of War games and will build my own miniatures. Does anyone you know you know use the stands sold by Chipco or the ones from the wingsofwar.org "Aerodrome Store"?

                    I was thinking of building one or two Pfalz D.III or Albatros D.V for the Friday night fight. Would they be appropriate?

                    Cheers,

                    Martin

                    Message 9 of 9 , 20 Sep, 2014
                      All,
                      I just put some comments on the 2014 Schedule to update the games for this year.

                      Friday night: Furball with Fokker D.VIIs vs Sopwith Snipes. I now have 5 each, and if we need more mayhem, Rob can throw more into the mix.

                      Saturday morning: Nothing set, but the tables should be available for something.

                      Saturday afternoon: Defend London.  Gotha bombers, or something else, will be on the way to London.  Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to stop the raid!  If I get the model I want, it will be nearly impossible!  Carnage will ensue, regardless of whether the raid gets through or not.

                      Saturday night: The 2nd Annual Dogfight Challenge.  Rob wants to win this as Top Ace, not the Bullet Magnet award like last year.  Roger is looking at defending his title.  I am in discussions with the ARES North American Rep for prize support.  If I get what I am asking for, it will be awesome for all the participants!

                      This year's Wings of Glory appearance will be a bigger blast than last year, I'm sooo pumped.

                      See You There!

                      Mike
                      OldGuy59 (wingsofwar.org)