Re: [BottosCon] COIN: Anything!

    Message 1 of 24 , 23 Aug, 2014
      Hi all,

      I'd also like to get in on a COIN game. Fire in the Lake would be my preference. I've played a lot of Cuba Libre, so I'd like to try something other than that one.

      Can't wait!

      Jay
    • Roger Leroux
      Message 2 of 24 , 23 Aug, 2014
        I likewise want to play a COIN game. I have all of them except Andean Abyss.

        Any interest in Twilight Struggle, 1989, Here I Stand, or Manoeuvre? Friedrich or Maria? Napoleon's Triumph?

        I'm also willing to play as much Combat Commander as people are willing to play.

        Sent from my iPad

          Message 4 of 24 , 23 Aug, 2014
            Definitely interested in either Here I Stand or Virgin Queen, so long as everyone is familiar with the game. Too many con games with newbies where we never got past the third turn after eight hours...

            I've said previously that I'm interested in any COIN game, I don't think that will be a problem since they work well with two or three players as well as with four.

            And I am always up for Combat Commander!

            Doug

            Message 5 of 24 , 23 Aug, 2014
              I didn't want to say it, but I'm with Doug on familiarity, and a desire to complete VQ / Here I Stand, rather than play 1-2 turns.

              I would also prefer to play a COIN game where people are familiar and want to play the entirety of a game in a reasonable time. I've noticed in the past few conventions that Andean Abyss has gone on for longer than I'd be comfortable with.

              Not saying that other people need to rush to accommodate me - just expressing my gaming preference... I really like seeing a game through to the end. :)

              Jay

              Message 6 of 24 , 23 Aug, 2014
                I agree. I play HIS every year at BGG con in Dallas and we split it over two mornings because it can take so long.

                Roger
                Sent from my iPhone - please blame autocorrect

                On 2014-08-23, at 12:16, "Doug Cooley doug666@... [BottosCon]" <BottosCon@...> wrote:

                Definitely interested in either Here I Stand or Virgin Queen, so long as everyone is familiar with the game. Too many con games with newbies where we never got past the third turn after eight hours...

                I've said previously that I'm interested in any COIN game, I don't think that will be a problem since they work well with two or three players as well as with four.

                And I am always up for Combat Commander!

                Doug

                > On Aug 23, 2014, at 11:03, "Roger Leroux yrl1967@... [BottosCon]" <BottosCon@...> wrote:
                >
                > Any interest in Twilight Struggle, 1989, Here I Stand, or Manoeuvre? Friedrich or Maria? Napoleon's Triumph?
                >
                > I'm also willing to play as much Combat Commander as people are willing to play.

              • danielcar67
                Message 7 of 24 , 24 Aug, 2014
                  I'll bring Fire in the Lake.  I'd like to play that one on Saturday.

                  Dan
                  Message 8 of 24 , 24 Aug, 2014
                    I’m going to bring A Distant Plain and would also like to play that on Saturday.

                    Duncan

                    Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2014 8:22 AM
                    Subject: [BottosCon] Re: COIN: Anything!

                  • Gogomax49@gmail.com
                    Message 9 of 24 , 24 Aug, 2014
                      I'll sign up for Fire on the Lake!

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Message 10 of 24 , 24 Aug, 2014
                        I have a bunch of games I want to sell - how soon do people who are planning to attend want to see them?

                        I'll have a separate set of games for charity at the con also.
                        Message 11 of 24 , 24 Aug, 2014
                          Any time. I’m a game and model kit hoarder.

                          Duncan

                          Sent: Sunday, August 24, 2014 12:43 PM
                          Subject: [BottosCon] Games for sale

                          I have a bunch of games I want to sell - how soon do people who are planning to attend want to see them?

                          I'll have a separate set of games for charity at the con also.

                        • ltmurnau
                          Message 12 of 24 , 24 Aug, 2014
                            For you COIN fans, I have been working on a COIN system iteration for the Algerian War, 1954-62... so yes, I who designed the game on the Algerian War that partly inspired the COIN system, am going back to the Maghreb after 15 years.
                            Trick is, it's for two players!
                            It seems to rattle along quite cheerfully... so anyone who would like to take it for a spin at the Con, please let me know via email: brian.train(at)gmail.com.
                            I just have the one rather crude playtest copy, though.
                            Working title is DENOUEMENT.
                            I also will be running playtests of CAUDILLO, my card game on Latin American strongman politics... Rob took a copy to Dragonflight and a few BottosCon regulars played it there too.

                            Thanks for your interest,

                            Brian
                            Message 13 of 24 , 25 Aug, 2014
                              Brian, is that supposed to be Denouncement?
                            • talonz51
                              Message 14 of 24 , 27 Aug, 2014
                                COIN game owners...set a day and time?  Seems like a few have volunteered up Saturday....when though?  Early evening would be great, I'm in if so.
                                Message 15 of 24 , 27 Aug, 2014
                                  I will set up A DISTANT PLAIN for 6pm to 11pm on Saturday. That should be enough time for people familiar with the game. We can finish Sunday morning if needed.
                                  You must be familiar with the game. It is too fiddly to teach on the spot.
                                  Please reply with your name if interested.
                                  Rob – Can you please set us up a table in your database.

                                  Duncan Rice

                                  Sent: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 11:07 AM
                                  Subject: Re: [BottosCon] Re: COIN: Anything!

                                  Message 16 of 24 , 28 Aug, 2014

                                    No, it's "denouement", as in the unravelling, climax and resolution of a plot or story.

                                    The word is a French loan-word into English but besides its literary or theatrical usage its literal meaning in French is an "unknotting", or the fraying/coming apart of a rope or entanglement.

                                    I thought this was a good one-word title for the image of the dissolution of the French Empire, in which the Algerian War was the last act.

                                    I am of course aware that I have violated the spirit of the Secret Law of Wargame Titling, which was recently revealed to me by Michael Peck:

                                    all wargame titles should be in English, and where they are not in English they must be in a language incompehensible to Americans, as long as that incompehensible language is German, Japanese or in rare cases Spanish.

                                    But somehow "Auflosung Algerien 1954-62" didn't do it for me.

                                    Brian

                                    Message 17 of 24 , 28 Aug, 2014
                                      So far it is myself and Jay for A Distant Plain on Saturday 6pm to 11pm. Two spots left. The time is flexible as my brother will be there and I would like to have dinner with him.

                                      Duncan
                                    • Roger Leroux
                                      Message 18 of 24 , 28 Aug, 2014
                                        You can pencil me in, but is rather play Fire in the Lake.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , 28 Aug, 2014
                                          Dan Carey will be hosting Fire in the Lake Saturday morning 10am to 3pm approx.
                                          You can get in both. Smile

                                          Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2014 4:00 PM
                                          Subject: Re: [BottosCon] A Distant Plain

                                          Message 20 of 24 , 28 Aug, 2014
                                            I'm up for this. Having trouble finding the sched as well, and also not sure I've paid entry fees yet, but happy to commit. Enjoyed playing games with both of you when I was there last...

                                            Doug

                                              Message 22 of 24 , 28 Aug, 2014
                                                I would love to get in on the Fire in the Lake games along with Roger. I have played some so e COIN and will hopefully have a few games of Fire in the Lake under my belt by then.

                                                Jonathan
                                              • cgmeista
                                                Message 23 of 24 , 3 Sep, 2014
                                                  What games do you have for sale? Can you email me at chrisgillmeister@... ?