Hardcore Wargames

  • fremonster@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 13 , 24 Aug, 2014
      I'm torn between OCS, SCS and TCS again this year. So, for those interested in team or tag team play of some serious hex grid WWII games please weigh in on your preferences: OCS - the new starter game Reluctant Enemies, a reprise of Blitzkrieg Legend, or the rare and forbidding Hube's Pocket (thought by many to be the best title in the series) - with a 30% bigger map to provide finger room along the Dnepr. SCS - the new 2 front Mighty Endeavor beckons, but it IS the 100th anniversary of WWI, so there's that trio, or perhaps Fallschimjaeger? TCS - Leros, Bloody 110, or Screaming Eagles to keep it simple. Think it over; these are games most of us won't get to play outside a con while the morning long session of (fill in the blank) can be any weekend. Don't make me break out High Frontier Colonization. - Art
    • Gogomax49@gmail.com
      Message 2 of 13 , 24 Aug, 2014
        Ah cripes, Art... I may be sucked in by any of these options...

        Jay

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Aug 24, 2014, at 9:16 AM, "artbrochet@... [BottosCon]" <BottosCon@...> wrote:

        I'm torn between OCS, SCS and TCS again this year. So, for those interested in team or tag team play of some serious hex grid WWII games please weigh in on your preferences: OCS - the new starter game Reluctant Enemies, a reprise of Blitzkrieg Legend, or the rare and forbidding Hube's Pocket (thought by many to be the best title in the series) - with a 30% bigger map to provide finger room along the Dnepr. SCS - the new 2 front Mighty Endeavor beckons, but it IS the 100th anniversary of WWI, so there's that trio, or perhaps Fallschimjaeger? TCS - Leros, Bloody 110, or Screaming Eagles to keep it simple. Think it over; these are games most of us won't get to play outside a con while the morning long session of (fill in the blank) can be any weekend. Don't make me break out High Frontier Colonization. - Art

      • David Sullivan
        Message 3 of 13 , 24 Aug, 2014
          I'm on the fence about Bottoscon this year. Work and finances may impinge. But I would love to play Fallschirmjager. I've had the game for these many years and haven't played it yet.

          Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Tablet

[...]

        • Michael Ward
          Message 4 of 13 , 24 Aug, 2014

            I'd like to give Hube's Picket a try (or any OCS, Sicily, Tunisia). Although up for Blitzkrieg or Mighty Endeavor.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 13 , 24 Aug, 2014

              I expect that Reluctant Enemies could be run as a teaching game on the side. It should be playable in a Saturday. BL we might save for the four days of NewellCon - though I am just finishing the actual book. Hube's Pocket could be good, as long as I don't suffer flashbacks of being trapped in Schorzmann's basement.

              TCS would build on last year's efforts. Screaming Eagles?

              Surely Mr Woloshen will be covering the SCS WWI front. And aren't we contractually obligated to wait until 2017 before we can play WWI in Canada?

              Message 6 of 13 , 24 Aug, 2014
                Art, I think Drive on Paris would be most appropriate :) and don't forget that WW 1 Classic, Circus Minimus ;)
              • fremonster@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 13 , 24 Aug, 2014
                  Rob -
                  You know my rule; only potential players get a vote...

                  Art
                  Message 8 of 13 , 24 Aug, 2014
                    I'm an agitator Art. Were I were free to just play at the convention, but then who would make sure you guys had a great time at BottosXon? :)
                  • Bill Gustafson
                    Message 9 of 13 , 25 Aug, 2014
                      Hi All,

                      Art sez:
                      or the rare and forbidding Hube's Pocket (thought by many to be the best title in the series)
                      Many who?  That thing is the densest, chewiest, brain-burningist, "oh my god there's no liney-ist", look at all those Russian guardsmen-ist, experience I've ever totally bailed on in all my life.

                      Having Reluctant Enemies going as a training game next to the main event probably makes sense.

                      I'm up for anything, but probably prefer OCS or SCS.  I don't think the Normandy SCS game will be out by then, right?

                      I would like an August campaign start of Baltic Gap, so I can see what the German counterattack looks like, but I think some others have played that.  Is there a 10-turn scenario version of that?

                      Can we have a 10 PM Kremlin game on Friday night?  That midnight Kremlin lasting til 4 AM is too much for me!

                      Bill

                      On 08/25/2014 08:30 PM, Mark Woloshen wrote:
                      Art,

                      I'm in for SCS or OCS - partial to SCS right now, but hey - I'm fickle! (I'm sure I'll be doing some Serbia 1914 with Mike Resch etc. )

                      TTFN,
                      Mark

                      On Aug 25, 2014, at 5:50 PM, Charlie Sheppard <charlie.sheppard@...> wrote:

                      OCS or SCS for me, with a moderate preference for OCS. Still too soon for me to contemplate another TCS I'm afraid. :/

                      Charlie

                      On Sun, Aug 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM, Art Brochet <art@...> wrote:
                      Men!

                      Step up and be counted!!

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      Begin forwarded message:

                      Message 10 of 13 , 26 Aug, 2014
                        Many hardcore wargamers that's who!  Guys like Stephen Graham, Boyd Schorzman, Dean Essig, Perry Andrus, Lee Forester, Greg Ullrich and Dave Powell who all have playtesting/proofreading credits on this 1996 beauty.
                        I have to agree, it can induce trauma, but we are hardcore wargamers, are we not?  So Hube's Pocket will be the main event, with as many map sets as needed to support scheduled players.  For those only prepared to dip their toe in the icy rush of OCS, we'll have Reluctant Enemies on the side, as Bill suggests.

                        Bone up on the situation - it is January 1944, and Army Group South, holding only a portion of the Dnepr River risks encirclement and destruction...

                        -Art
                        _______________________________________

                        _________________

                        ____________________

                        Message 11 of 13 , 26 Aug, 2014

                          On 08/26/2014 07:59 AM, artbrochet@... [BottosCon] wrote:

                          Many hardcore wargamers that's who!  Guys like Stephen Graham, Boyd Schorzman, Dean Essig, Perry Andrus, Lee Forester, Greg Ullrich and Dave Powell who all have playtesting/proofreading credits on this 1996 beauty.

                          I have to agree, it can induce trauma, but we are hardcore wargamers, are we not?  So Hube's Pocket will be the main event, with as many map sets as needed to support scheduled players.  For those only prepared to dip their toe in the icy rush of OCS, we'll have Reluctant Enemies on the side, as Bill suggests.
                          <quailing>You're a hard, hard man Art Brochet</quailing>

                          A bigger map would definitely help prevent the mountains of Russian tanks, artillery, and infantry from falling over and crushing the lone German counters, scattered like leaves in the cold winter.

                          Bone up on the situation - it is January 1944, and Army Group South, holding only a portion of the Dnepr River risks encirclement and destruction...
                          risks?  They're practically encircled to start with, with not even some Romanians on their flank as a fig leaf to pretend like they're going to keep back the Russian hordes.

                          Bill

                          -Art
                          _______________________________________
[...]

                        • nohbnow
                          Message 12 of 13 , 27 Aug, 2014
                            That's it Art, I can't resist any more... sign me up for Hubes! I have a copy if more are needed.

                            I played it twice back when it was new. The first was the usual "what the hell do I do now" for the German player. The second game was really strange. I played the Germans who went first in the scenario. Looking at the map I somehow saw that there was just enough supply range to move German armoured divs to destroy a couple of Sovied armoured corps, as this was turn one the Soviet player seeing this was ready to throw in the towel. What the heck happened there? It was so long ago I am thinking now it was just a dream. Somehow I don't think this can be replicated ;-)

                            Clayton
                          • fremonster@ymail.com
                            Message 13 of 13 , 28 Aug, 2014
                              Clayton -

                              I hate to be the the one to tell you, but the Soviets always move first in Hube's, no matter the scenario.

                              -Art