Planning for Hube's

  • fremonster@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 17 , 28 Aug, 2014

      OK Hardcore Gamers -

      There's lot's of ways we can do Hube's together, but we need a plan, so:

      Between now and 9/15: let's ID who's up for playing on which days.  I've created different lines in the file for the 2014 events, one per day.  Please add your name and - if limited to just some part of the day - what hours you want to play.  Feel free to contact other attendees who may not subscribe to the list if you think they'd be interested and have them do the same.

      Mid-September I'll make sense of the sign-ups and figure out how many games/tables we'll need and what the pairings (or teams) might be.

      By September's end each pairing/team should agree on which of the 5 scenarios to play, who has the Germans, and what optional rules will be in effect (OCS and Hube's specific).  And we'll need to decide who will bring copies to play with.

      In October everyone should refresh their OCS memories and spend a little time thinking about the terrain, supply routes, etc.  German players will need to start planning their set-up, using Vassal if need be.

      Prior to the con the German player should record their starting positions; there's too much at stake to count on setting up on the fly.

      Russians should just set-up at the con in response to the German dispositions; seeing them a week in advance would give them too much of an advantage over the soon-to-be repeatedly surrounded Germans.

      Oh yeah, prospective players should be sure to read the notes I've placed in each day's event lines....

      -Art

    • nfpr2boziis
      Message 2 of 17 , 28 Aug, 2014
        I'm just not seeing the 2014 events file for some reason.
        Message 3 of 17 , 28 Aug, 2014
          To access the database you must be a registered member of the site. The database is under the more tab. I'm not pleased with how Yahoo has changed the site from its previous layout but until I can have a new website constructed, it's all I have.
          Rob Bottos
        • Stephen Graham
          Message 4 of 17 , 28 Aug, 2014
            There's still something screwy going on.

            Message 5 of 17 , 28 Aug, 2014
              PS. To join the site, you have to provide your real name. I can't speak for others, but anonymous nicknames really bother me. I like to know who I'm talking with :-)
            • Troy Chard
              Message 6 of 17 , 28 Aug, 2014
                Offtopic: Sorry Rob.

                re: new web-site. WordPress might be a way for you to go?
                I don't know much about professional hosting though.

                Rob, there are a lot of tech people in this gaming circle. Perhaps a
                new topic and canvas all of us for ideas?

                I can code on occasion, but don't have resources to provide a instant or
                complete fix for ya. But I'd be curious to hear from others in the
                crowd if they know anything about WordPress or have access to a site you
                could use?

                Troy

                ps - what does "Hube" stand for/mean? I'm not as conversant with some
                of our terms/acronyms we bandy about :(
                Message 7 of 17 , 28 Aug, 2014
                  Troy, we have a young man where I work who is very high functioning and computer literate who is building me a new site on WordPress. Hope to have the new site up and running soon.

                  As for Hube, he was the German General in command of the German forces that were pocketed by the Soviets.

                  Rob
                • fremonster@ymail.com
                  Message 8 of 17 , 28 Aug, 2014
                    Pocketed, but then rather than breaking out to the nearest friendly line, or waiting for a relief force (like that was gonna happen!) Hube fought the pocket across the Soviet front to where - when he did rejoin AGS - he filled a gap between the flank and the Carpathians.

                    Just sayin' it wasn't your normal pocket.
                  • Bill Gustafson
                    Message 9 of 17 , 4 Sep, 2014
                      Hi All,

                      So I paid Rob, and I tried to sign up for the Hube's but can't seem to edit the database fields, but I am all in for Hube's Pocket.  I printed out the game specific rules, and see several scenarios, all of which look manageable in a weekend (5-10 turns).  I don't have a preference for side or scenario.  I think that I would prefer to play as part of a team - I remember that either side would be too much for me by myself, although if we have an odd number I think the Germans might be able to manage solo (or we could do 3 Soviets - an overall/air commander, and 2 front commanders).  And if we have too many, I would volunteer to drop out and play some SCS or Reluctant Enemies.

                      If we have enough players for a second game, I can start punching my copy, unless someone else has a punched copy.  Getting excited!

                      Bill

                      Message 10 of 17 , 5 Sep, 2014
                        Bill, the database can be found under the more tab. I have noticed when looking at the site from my smartphone that I can't access the database. On my tablet and laptop I have no issues. I added you to the 3pm slot for Hube's on Friday. If it is your intent to play all weekend, please let me know and I'll add you to the rest of the time slots.
                        Rob
                      • Stephen Graham
                        Message 11 of 17 , 5 Sep, 2014
                          On 9/5/2014 7:25 AM, scouterrob@... [BottosCon] wrote:

                          > Bill, the database can be found under the more tab. I have noticed
                          > when looking at the site from my smartphone that I can't access the
                          > database. On my tablet and laptop I have no issues. I added you to the
                          > 3pm slot for Hube's on Friday. If it is your intent to play all
                          > weekend, please let me know and I'll add you to the rest of the time
                          > slots.

                          Rob,

                          I think the permissions on the database aren't set correctly. I can't
                          edit it either, trying two different browsers from a desktop.

                          I should be added to all days of Hube's.

                          Stephen
                        • nohbnow
                          Message 12 of 17 , 5 Sep, 2014
                            I'm in for the game too Bill. I have a punched copy that we could use in necessary so no need to punch yours I think.
                            Also I don't even see where we add names, if we could, to the database.

                            Clayton
                          • fremonster@ymail.com
                            Message 13 of 17 , 6 Sep, 2014
                              Rob - can you please open up permission for members to edit the database, in addition to adding new records?

                              (I was expecting more whining from players about the Notes regarding participation in Hube's; my guess is guys are just relying on you to sign 'em up and not reading all the Notes field...
                            • fremonster@ymail.com
                              Message 14 of 17 , 6 Sep, 2014
                                It seems we have at least 4 solid players (I'm hoping for more) and so there will be flexibility galore in picking scenarios and arranging players.  Each of the 5 scenarios (which can also serve as a starting point for the campaign) have appeal.  On one hand it would be nice to have different scenarios on display so various stages of the campaign can be seen in relation to one another.  On the other hand having multiple set-ups of the same scenario would serve to highlight the huge variation in strategic approaches - in both attack and defense - that can be taken, particularly given the wide freedom in initial positions.

                                So, for you early adopters; what your preference? Turns 1-4, 7-13, 9-13, 18-23, or 24-32? No poll, just a roll call; kibitzers welcome.
                                Message 15 of 17 , 6 Sep, 2014
                                  I thought I did update the permissions. I'll go back and check.
                                  Message 16 of 17 , 6 Sep, 2014
                                    Art, I went and checked the settings for the group, and all members of the group are able to add/edit databases. That being said, I'm less than impressed with how Yahoo changed our page and I find it very difficult to navigate now. A new page is being worked on but it takes time.
                                    Rob
                                  • Bill Gustafson
                                    Message 17 of 17 , 6 Sep, 2014
                                      Hey Rob,

                                      I couldn't add my name to the lists for Hube's Pocket - someone else did that, but maybe I just don't know how.  As far as Art's notes - I'll play the Russians, I'd rather stand than do the 1944 version of the ice bucket challenge.

                                      Bill