Amtrak to Vancouver

  • Rob
    Message 1 of 10 , 10 Aug, 2009
      Art, I was wondering, does Amtrak offer a group rate for travel to Vancouver? If so, we should find out how many people you need for said rate.
    • Stephen Graham
      Message 2 of 10 , 10 Aug, 2009
        At 08:41 AM 8/10/2009, you wrote:

        >Art, I was wondering, does Amtrak offer a group rate for travel to
        >Vancouver? If so, we should find out how many people you need for said rate.

        We'd need 20 people to qualify for a group rate.
      • Rob
        Message 3 of 10 , 10 Aug, 2009
          Ok, so last year we had what, 4 of you come north via Amtrak? I think we're a long way from 20, but you never know. Aim high :)

          Message 4 of 10 , 11 Aug, 2009
            Hi Stephen,

            Sorry I haven't got back to you about the size of the TDC rulebook.  I've been away travelling (and I'm still travelling as we speak).

            I think the series rules are about 30-40 pages, BUT they're written in a conversational manner - I'm betting they would be about 20 pages if written like most rulebooks.  The series rules are extremely simple to learn, but there's a decent level of subtlety in their application.

            The TDC-specific rules are probably 5-6 pages long (if you delete the optional rules and condence the conversational wordiness).  A few of these rules are a bit fiddly, but nothing mind-boggling.  Mostly exceptions for specific units, and some wierdness with moving on Raised Roads.

            If we do find enough people interested in TDC, maybe the Seattle-ites who are interested could get together with Art and play a scenario, just to get the baics down.  some shorter scenarios are playable in an evening.

            Jay

            Instant message from any web browser! Try the new Yahoo! Canada Messenger for the Web BETA
          • Art Brochet
            Message 5 of 10 , 11 Aug, 2009
              Seattle-area BottosCon attendees -

              A few post-Dragonflight observations:

              Although we may not qualify for Amtrak's group rate, I think we can hold travel costs down by making our separate reservations early. My memory is that fares doubled in the eight weeks or so before the con last year.

              We may have a few new faces making the trip. I'm working on two of the guys engaged in the EaTG scenarios we're playing; Hugo & Chris.

              I remain interested in, but practically ignorant of, TDC. (I didn't break free of the events I was running at Dragonflight to learn even TDC's fundamentals.) Even so I would be happy to host a learning session or two if that's the focus of interest, but not until mid/late September.

              SCS remains a strong draw too. I had a blast playing Bastogne with Doug Bloomer at DF and could see making a weekend of multiple (perhaps even simultaneous?) games of SCS titles. They would allow playing through to conclusion.

              I also remain enamored of Conflict of Heroes, particularly with the tweak to the play sequence that is being introduced in the upcoming CoH title, Storm of Steel. The system is easy to learn and to play, but is strategically "deep", very interactive and has great scenarios.

              November can't come too soon for me - I particularly look forward to seeing my northern brethren who didn't make it to the 30th Dragonflight. Praise Zeus for BottosCon! (And Rob too...)

              --- In BottosCon@..., Jay White <gogomax49@...> wrote:

              > Hi Stephen,
              >
              > Sorry I haven't got back to you about the size of the TDC rulebook. I've been away travelling (and I'm still travelling as we speak).
              >
              > I think the series rules are about 30-40 pages, BUT they're written in a conversational manner - I'm betting they would be about 20 pages if written like most rulebooks. The series rules are extremely simple to learn, but there's a decent level of subtlety in their application.
              >
              > The TDC-specific rules are probably 5-6 pages long (if you delete the optional rules and condence the conversational wordiness). A few of these rules are a bit fiddly, but nothing mind-boggling. Mostly exceptions for specific units, and some wierdness with moving on Raised Roads.
              >
              > If we do find enough people interested in TDC, maybe the Seattle-ites who are interested could get together with Art and play a scenario, just to get the baics down. some shorter scenarios are playable in an evening.
              >
              > Jay

              > Make your browsing faster, safer, and easier with the new Internet Explorer® 8. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free! at http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/

            • Rob
              Message 6 of 10 , 11 Aug, 2009
                Stephen, don't let the size of the rules put you off. The guys at my gaming club taught me to play in about 15 minutes and once I was playing the rules made lot's of sense.

                Message 7 of 10 , 11 Aug, 2009
                  Art, good to hear you're on top of the Seattle contingent. Booking early is definitely better than late. In terms of games I think if the numbers can sustain both the Devil's Cauldron and OCS great, if not maybe next year. I think an SCS-a-thon on either Saturday or Sunday would be great. Friday night didn't seem to be ideal for last year's SCS extravaganza.

                  I'm going to host None but Heroes: Antietam on either Saturday or Sunday. This is Dean's re-envisioning of RSS and now goes under the name Line of Battle. Hopefully Stephen will be game for this game again.

                  I'd also like to see some smaller games run and am in the midst of seeing if we can get a demo of some Victory Point Games games. I'd also like to see if we can get a game or two of Race for the Galaxy or Arkham horror going for late Saturday night.

                  Let's keep the chatter going and the buzz alive. So far we have 3 registered attendees. Keep it up!

                  Rob
                  BottosCon Actual

                  --- In BottosCon@..., "Art Brochet" <art@...> wrote:

                  > Seattle-area BottosCon attendees -
                  >
                  > A few post-Dragonflight observations:
                  >
                  > Although we may not qualify for Amtrak's group rate, I think we can hold travel costs down by making our separate reservations early. My memory is that fares doubled in the eight weeks or so before the con last year.
                  >
                  > We may have a few new faces making the trip. I'm working on two of the guys engaged in the EaTG scenarios we're playing; Hugo & Chris.
                  >
                  > I remain interested in, but practically ignorant of, TDC. (I didn't break free of the events I was running at Dragonflight to learn even TDC's fundamentals.) Even so I would be happy to host a learning session or two if that's the focus of interest, but not until mid/late September.
                  >
                  > SCS remains a strong draw too. I had a blast playing Bastogne with Doug Bloomer at DF and could see making a weekend of multiple (perhaps even simultaneous?) games of SCS titles. They would allow playing through to conclusion.
                  >
                  > I also remain enamored of Conflict of Heroes, particularly with the tweak to the play sequence that is being introduced in the upcoming CoH title, Storm of Steel. The system is easy to learn and to play, but is strategically "deep", very interactive and has great scenarios.
                  >
                  > November can't come too soon for me - I particularly look forward to seeing my northern brethren who didn't make it to the 30th Dragonflight. Praise Zeus for BottosCon! (And Rob too...)
                  >

                  > --- In BottosCon@..., Jay White <gogomax49@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi Stephen,
                  > >
                  > > Sorry I haven't got back to you about the size of the TDC rulebook. I've been away travelling (and I'm still travelling as we speak).
                  > >
                  > > I think the series rules are about 30-40 pages, BUT they're written in a conversational manner - I'm betting they would be about 20 pages if written like most rulebooks. The series rules are extremely simple to learn, but there's a decent level of subtlety in their application.
                  > >
                  > > The TDC-specific rules are probably 5-6 pages long (if you delete the optional rules and condence the conversational wordiness). A few of these rules are a bit fiddly, but nothing mind-boggling. Mostly exceptions for specific units, and some wierdness with moving on Raised Roads.
                  > >
                  > > If we do find enough people interested in TDC, maybe the Seattle-ites who are interested could get together with Art and play a scenario, just to get the baics down. some shorter scenarios are playable in an evening.
                  > >
                  > > Jay

                  > > Make your browsing faster, safer, and easier with the new Internet Explorer® 8. Optimized for Yahoo! Get it Now for Free! at http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/

                • Allen Evenson
                  Message 8 of 10 , 12 Aug, 2009
                    Can Art or one of the others send me the lowdown on the train? I was trying to put in Tukwila as depart station and Surrey as arrival station and it keeps wanting to put me on a bus.

                    Hoping a couple of us that were there for ASL last year can return and just looking at travel options.

                    Thanks,

                    Allen
                  • Rob
                    Message 9 of 10 , 12 Aug, 2009
                      Allen, I know there's a train station in Mount Vernon butyour end point is Vancouver. The train does not stop in Surrey. From the Vancouver station you hop on the Skytrain and take it all the way to the hotel. When I was a kid the train stopped in New Westminster and Port Coquitlam, but cutbacks to service have seriously pared the train service down.
                      Rob

                    • seattleda@comcast.net
                      Message 10 of 10 , 13 Aug, 2009
                        Allen, I'm thinking that the train to Vancouver originates in Seattle.  I took the train up last year and simply got a ride into town from my home in Tukwila, but I could have just as easily took the 150 Metro bus.  I'm sure there is a commuter Sounder train that will pick up at the Tukwila station too.

                        Once you get to Vancouver, you will need to walk a block to the light-rail system that will take you, and I kid you not, directly to the hotel (its across the parking lot from the station).

                        It was a pleasure.  Thrashing 4 other players in a game of Modern Art on the way home was nice, too. ;-)

                        Dave

                        Can Art or one of the others send me the lowdown on the train?  I was trying to put in Tukwila as depart station and Surrey as arrival station and it keeps wanting to put me on a bus.

                        Hoping a couple of us that were there for ASL last year can return and just looking at travel options.

                        Thanks,

                        Allen

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional