surgery went well

  • steve_deshaies
    Message 1 of 10 , 30 Jun, 2009
      Removed the tumor from my sacrum and took out S2 and below. Saved S1 nerves and half of S2 nerves. Dr. Conrad, from Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, was very pleased with reuslts. The care here at UW Med. Center has been great. My plan is to stay in the ortho ward for another week, and then get moved to Rehab for several weeks. My physical recover is going well, however I have some numbness in my feet.

      Thanks for the group's help and information.

      Best,

      Steve
    • shozgirl@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , 1 Jul, 2009
        Great News Steve! Congratulations and please keep us posted. Sharon/NYC

        In a message dated 6/30/2009 11:29:42 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, steve_deshaies@... writes:
        Removed the tumor from my sacrum and took out S2 and below. Saved S1 nerves and half of S2 nerves. Dr. Conrad, from Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, was very pleased with reuslts. The care here at UW Med. Center has been great. My plan is to stay in the ortho ward for another week, and then get moved to Rehab for several weeks. My physical recover is going well, however I have some numbness in my feet.

        Thanks for the group's help and information.

        Best,

        Steve

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:Chordoma_Support_Group-digest@...
            mailto:Chordoma_Support_Group-fullfeatured@...

            http://ca.yahoo.com/docs/info/tos.html

      • najones11
        Message 3 of 10 , 1 Jul, 2009
          --- In Chordoma_Support_Group@..., "steve_deshaies" <steve_deshaies@...> wrote:

          > Removed the tumor from my sacrum and took out S2 and below. Saved S1 nerves and half of S2 nerves. Dr. Conrad, from Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, was very pleased with reuslts. The care here at UW Med. Center has been great. My plan is to stay in the ortho ward for another week, and then get moved to Rehab for several weeks. My physical recover is going well, however I have some numbness in my feet.
          >
          > Thanks for the group's help and information.
          >
          > Best,
          >
          > Steve

          so glad that the surgery went well and I go to Seattle for my doctor and my checkups. I was very impressed with the facility and the care I received. All the best for a speedy recovery. Norma
        • Austin Moore
          Message 4 of 10 , 2 Jul, 2009
            Steve: Sounds like your in great shape for loosing S2. I do not think that the numbness will bother you much. If you do not have a "drop foot" and only numbness you will walk just fine. I would like to hear of your prognosis and if I can be of help, let me know.

            Austin

            > Removed the tumor from my sacrum and took out S2 and below. Saved S1 nerves and half of S2 nerves. Dr. Conrad, from Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, was very pleased with reuslts. The care here at UW Med. Center has been great. My plan is to stay in the ortho ward for another week, and then get moved to Rehab for several weeks. My physical recover is going well, however I have some numbness in my feet.
            >
            > Thanks for the group's help and information.
            >
            > Best,
            >
            > Steve

            so glad that the surgery went well and I go to Seattle for my doctor and my checkups. I was very impressed with the facility and the care I received. All the best for a speedy recovery. Norma

          • Steve Deshaies
            Message 5 of 10 , 10 Jul, 2009
              Hi all,

              Three weeks post surgery and I have moved to the in-patient rehab center here at UW Med. Center.

              I had some set backs dealing with blood infections after surgery. That knocked me for a loop as I was experiencing chills and sweats. The infection has cleared and I'm feeling much better.

              I've been walking with the help of a walker. My feet have a lot of numbness. My left foot is weaker. Not sure how much of this will be permanent or will eventually improve. Still working on bowel and bladder issues. Now that I'm in rehab I'll be focusing on appropriate theraphy. I should be in rehab for 2-3 weeks and will then go home..

              Thanks for your kind comments and support,

              Best,

              Steve Deshaies

                Message 7 of 10 , 11 Jul, 2009
                  I would like to know UW Med. Center.....UWescon. UWash??? Also..how much of your sacrum did they resect????

                  Amoore...eamil: amoore5535@...

                  Steve: Sounds like your in great shape for loosing S2. I do not think that the numbness will bother you much. If you do not have a "drop foot" and only numbness you will walk just fine. I would like to hear of your prognosis and if I can be of help, let me know.

                  Austin

                  > Removed the tumor from my sacrum and took out S2 and below. Saved S1 nerves and half of S2 nerves. Dr. Conrad, from Seattle Cancer Care Alliance, was very pleased with reuslts. The care here at UW Med. Center has been great. My plan is to stay in the ortho ward for another week, and then get moved to Rehab for several weeks. My physical recover is going well, however I have some numbness in my feet.
                  >
                  > Thanks for the group's help and information.
                  >
                  > Best,
                  >
                  > Steve

                  so glad that the surgery went well and I go to Seattle for my doctor and my checkups. I was very impressed with the facility and the care I received. All the best for a speedy recovery. Norma

                • shaneknee
                  Message 8 of 10 , 11 Jul, 2009
                    Steve:

                    So glad to know you're recovering. As you know, complications can be common with our type of operation. I too suffered several major ones during my surgical journey for my large sacral tumor. However, the body and mind have an incredible ability to mend, heal and adapt.

                    Left foot and leg numbness are extremely common among us sacral patients. There are medications (non narcotic) that can help that (nerve issues). I had my entire sacrum removed with the exception of a small horizontal top band...almost a full amputation. However, I can walk and have a decent quality of life. I have some tips and ideas that can make sitting for long periods of time enjoyable (up to six hours at a sit...lol) and other tips as well.

                    I can lend you some suggestions and pointers, especially if you'll now be required to self cath. I've devised a method that will help significantly cut down the rate of possible UTIs. Even my Pcp and urologist at Hopkins were impressed and are going to recommend the method to other self cathing patients. There are other things too that rehab, even at the best hospitals, don't understand, know or prepare you for for that many of us here can help assist you with.

                    Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions about "anything"...like many here, "been there, done that"...lol

                    Skype: shaneknee
                    Google Talk: shaneknee
                    AIM: FanOfJohann
                    Cell: (anytime and best phone to reach me @) 301.370.8165

                    Peace and God's Blessings,
                    Shaner

                    Sent from iPhone...

                    --- In Chordoma_Support_Group@..., Steve Deshaies <steve_deshaies@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all,
                    >
                    > Three weeks post surgery and I have moved to the in-patient rehab center here at UW Med. Center.
                    >
                    > I had some set backs dealing with blood infections after surgery. That knocked me for a loop as I was experiencing chills and sweats. The infection has cleared and I'm feeling much better.
                    >
                    > I've been walking with the help of a walker. My feet have a lot of numbness. My left foot is weaker. Not sure how much of this will be permanent or will eventually improve. Still working on bowel and bladder issues. Now that I'm in rehab I'll be focusing on appropriate theraphy. I should be in rehab for 2-3 weeks and will then go home.
                    >
                    > Thanks for your kind comments and support,
                    >
                    > Best,
                    >
                    > Steve Deshaies

                  • norma jones

                      Message 10 of 10 , 13 Jul, 2009
                        Steve: I am a male and have be self cathing for 9 years. I have not had a UTI for many years and I have no trouble with my bowel. If you would like to talk you my cal me at 210-826-1333 or email me at amoore5535@...

                        It might help you are your journey. I would like to hear shaneknee's experiences if you read this email.

                        Amoore