23119Re: [GOV DG] Deloitte hit by cyber-attack revealing clients’ secret emails

  • Endre Bihari
    Sep 26

      In my opinion the question is irrelevant, really.

      Irrespective of how much advice is given; how many audits are conducted (how well and how deeply done); if there is a system, it can be breached.

      A more important question is how quickly the organisation can recover from the breach. Let me give an illustration.

      You are driving to an all-important meeting on an inner-city freeway and have an accident. The car is a write-off, but you are unharmed, due to the safety features, like airbags. The tow truck comes, takes the wreck away. Your insurance company provides a replacement car, and you are on your way again. As the whole incident was sorted in half an hour, you even make the original appointment on time.

      If we can do this in transport, we should be able to do it in IT as well. Reducing a breach to a 10-minute incident would be a good goal. That’s what resilience is about.

      So the question to me is how quickly could and can Deloitte recover from the breach? Do or did they make it even worse by the way they handled it?

      Anyway, I reserve the right to be wrong.

      Kind regards,

      Endre

      From: <GOV_DG2@...> on behalf of "EGIT | Enterprise Governance of IT tichaona.zororo@... [GOV_DG2]" <GOV_DG2-noreply@...>
      Date: Tuesday, 26 September 2017 at 2:15 AM
      To: GOV DG2 <gov_dg2@...>
      Subject: [GOV DG] Deloitte hit by cyber-attack revealing clients’ secret emails

      Who will advise the advisors?

      Deloitte, which is registered in London and has its global headquarters in New York, was the victim of a cybersecurity attack that went unnoticed for months.

      From: GOV DG2 <GOV_DG2@...> on behalf of "Dan Swanson dswanson_2008@... [GOV_DG2]" <GOV_DG2-noreply@...>
      Date: Monday, 25 September 2017 at 17:45
      To: GOV DG2 <gov_dg2@...>
      Subject: [GOV DG] Pulse of the Profession 2017

      Pulse of the Profession 2017

      REPORT Strategy February 2017

      Project success rates are rising. Organizations today are wasting an average of US$97 million for every US$1 billion invested — that’s a significant 20 percent decline from last year’s Pulse of the Profession® findings.

      Organizations are experiencing more success implementing strategic initiatives and, for the first time in five years, more projects are meeting original goals and business intent and being completed within budget.

      The 2017 Pulse findings continue to show what we’ve learned in the past: that when proven project, program, and portfolio management practices are implemented, projects are more successful. At the same time, the definition of success is evolving.

      The traditional measures of scope, time, and cost are no longer sufficient. Projects must deliver what they set out to do — the expected benefits. So, for the first time, when determining project success, we looked at levels of benefits realization maturity as well as the traditional measures.

      Through this wider lens, we identified champions and underperformers as two new, measurable performance levels. We also indicate the organizational practices that distinguish more successful project performance.

      Success Rates Rise | Pulse of the Profession 2017

      Project success rates are rising. Organizations are wasting an average of US$97 million for every US$1 billion i...

      Regards.

      Dan

      Dan Swanson and Associates, Ltd.

      We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. Aristotle

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic