23230RE: [GOV DG] New COSO ERM - Governance and Culture

  • Hirth, Robert (10040)
    Oct 5

      COSO ERM framework executive summary attached which is the initial suggested level of material for a board and senior management. Understandably, some may choose to synthesize this even more to make their point in just a few minutes, which would be unfortunate for such an opportunity to improve organizational performance. That is up to each person and organization, of course. There are some slides available on the COSO website which could help with this.

      COSO considers its material to be guidance and not a standard or regulation as it has no such authority to  require the use of its materials for any purpose.  Our mission of thought leadership is stated on the COSO website. Therefore, organizations should determine if or how the COSO material might help them and, in many cases, it will need to be adapted to more effectively consider their objectives and circumstances. Therefore, the COSO ERM framework should be used as a starting point to a deeper discussion and planned actions.

      The most pervasive ERM related requirement regardless of industry or regulator is the SEC Board Risk Oversight disclosure issued in 2009 for US stock exchange companies. This disclosure tends to interest boards since it refers to them in an SEC filed document. It is an interesting exercise to look at this disclosure of peer, competitor and other leading companies.

      Thank you for your continued interest in our material.

      Robert B. Hirth, Jr.

      Chairman

      Committee of Sponsoring Organizations of the Treadway Commission

      imagesCAGUUQ6K

      Office: 415 402 3621