Re: [NYC-ottawa-adirondack] Abandoned line east of Old Forge, NY along Route 28

  • anthony wagner
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1 7:06 AM
      Alan, It's been a while since we conversed, but when i saw your post, I knew I could help. The line you saw was the Raquette Lake Railway that did indeed belong to the NYC. It was about 18 miles long and connected with the Adirondack Div at Carter. It was built as a lumber spur in the 1890s, but acquired by lease by the NYC&HR around 1899, then sold to the NYC in 1917. It was always operated under its own name and used ex NYC engines lettered Raquette Lake and numbered either #1 or #2. The first ex NYC power, assigned before 1902, were a pair of class F 4-6-0s built in 1887. They were replaced in 1914 and 1916 by a pair of ex Beech Creek, ex NYC X-3 4-8-0s which were replaced after two years each by a pair of E-1 2-6-0s that ran until the branch was abandonned in 1933. All of the Raquette Lake's power burned oil, and according to the 1929 list of Officers Stations and Facilities the oil refuelling tank was located at Carter. There is a website where you can find pictures of parts of this branch and of the Raquette Lake depot, etc. Try www.sthubertsisle.com. It also has shots of the Marion River Carry RR, said to be the shortest standard gauge RR in the US. By the way, when I was only 12 years old, enroute to a summer camp near Old Forge in 1952, the NYC deposited our group at Carter. While we waited for the camp's station wagon to ferry us over to it, I had a chance to walk around the abandonned wye where the branch connected to the main. Until that time I had no idea that railroads could be abandonned. I just assumed they were permanent. Hope this helps, Regards, Tony Wagner
      Alan Palmer <rrgeekdev@...> wrote:
      At the beginning of July our family went to Old Forge, NY for a
      weekend vacation. We stayed at a hotel that was near "Train Wreck
      Point" about 6 miles east of Old Forge on Route 28. Running beside the
      highway was a railbed turned to trail that included a posting for Bald
      Mountain Station. What line was this? I could not find a name of the
      line. I assume it was NYC as they owned most of the lines in the area.

      Alan

    • Alan Palmer