WIDS and Buckeye at Parkhaven

  • halljp@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3

      Hi folks:

      Thanks to Arnet for his note reminding me of the Wild Indigo Duskywings at Parkhaven. I travelled out there yesterday afternoon. While there were not a lot of butterfly species (only four!), I did find about 15 WIDs, most very fresh and nectaring on nettles. I also saw and photographed a very fresh looking Common Buckeye.

      Cheers

      Peter

    • ARNET SHEPPARD
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3
        re: Parkhaven

        I have been keeping a watch for buckeyes every day. With Peter's find, that is now three out of the last six years they have been seen there. Where exactly was it, Peter?

        Yes, the numbers of WIDs have been increasing there every day over the last week. When it looks like numbers are peaking, I plan to survey the length of the Pinecrest corridor to get the bigger picture.

        Yesterday, I took an afternoon trip out to the Lowe Rd./ McArton Road, Turner Rd. areas to do butterfly/storm photography. Not a great deal going on.

        eastern tiger 1
        black swallowtail 3
        monarchs 6 (one pair in copula)
        common sulphur 10
        cabbage 1
        wood nymphs 6
        phyciodes 14 (these mostly tharos-like)
        eastern-tailed blue 12
        Speyeria 6 (most appeared to be Cybele, but there was at least one Aphrodite)
        dun skipper 1
        Peck's skipper 1  (worn)
        Delaware skipper 1  (worn)

        arnet

        On Thursday, August 3, 2017 9:21 AM, "halljp@... [butterfly_obs]" <butterfly_obs@...> wrote:

        Hi folks:

        Thanks to Arnet for his note reminding me of the Wild Indigo Duskywings at Parkhaven. I travelled out there yesterday afternoon. While there were not a lot of butterfly species (only four!), I did find about 15 WIDs, most very fresh and nectaring on nettles. I also saw and photographed a very fresh looking Common Buckeye.

        Cheers

        Peter

      • Judy and Peter Hall
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3
          Hi Arnet:

          The buckeye was in the middle of the big open meadow towards the east side. There is almost no crown vetch, but lots of mostly seeding thistle and cow vetch. The buckeye was being very territorial with the WIDs, which is where I saw most of them.

          Just for interest, I'm attaching a copy of the buckeye photo.

          Cheers

          Peter