European Common Blue in Ontario

  • halljp@rogers.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 6

      Hi all:

      I saw there was a report today on eButterfly of an unknown blue from the 401 Ingleside rest stop  just a few km north of Upper Canada Village. The attached photo looks like a European Common Blue. It was reported by William Irwin. I guess its finally arrived in this province. Time to go look along the Ottawa River near Hawkesbury. Unfortunately I'm off today to a cottage near Bancroft so won't get a chance to look.

      Cheers

      Peter

    • rick cavasin
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 6
        It certainly looks like a European Blue.  But that's a long way from Montreal.  It could be a windblown stray, or a hitchhiker.  If the species really is established that far West, one would think it's been in Ontario for a while now, and our friend down in Cornwall should have
        come across it.

        For that matter, it should be in NE NYS as well.

          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6
            Hi, Gang,

               I have just discovered that I cannot change the name of the butterfly to European Common Blue because the name is not on eButterfly's list of possible Ontario species; Max, Sambo, please make the necessary change, as soon as possible. I corresponded recently with the photographer, Mr William Irwin, regarding some vagueness about some of his earlier butterfly locations. He was very cooperative, and went back through his records and made the locality descriptions much more precise, and changed the coordinates to match. He seems to be a very serious photographer in this, his first year of interest in butterflies. I have absolutely no reason to doubt his record.

                    Ross
            On Sun, 8/6/17, rick cavasin rrrcav@... [butterfly_obs] <butterfly_obs@...> wrote:

            Subject: Re: [butterfly_obs] European Common Blue in Ontario
            To: "butterfly_obs@..." <butterfly_obs@...>

            #yiv5709135052 #yiv5709135052 --

            #yiv5709135052 .yiv5709135052ygrp-photo-title{
            clear:both;font-size:smaller;min-height:15px;overflow:hidden;text-align:center;width:75px;}
            #yiv5709135052 div.yiv5709135052ygrp-photo{
            background-position:center;background-repeat:no-repeat;background-color:white;border:1px
            solid black;min-height:62px;width:62px;}

            #yiv5709135052 div.yiv5709135052photo-title
                      a,
            #yiv5709135052 div.yiv5709135052photo-title a:active,
            #yiv5709135052 div.yiv5709135052photo-title a:hover,
            #yiv5709135052 div.yiv5709135052photo-title a:visited {
            text-decoration:none;
            }

            #yiv5709135052 div.yiv5709135052attach-table
            div.yiv5709135052attach-row {
            clear:both;}

            #yiv5709135052 div.yiv5709135052attach-table
            div.yiv5709135052attach-row div {
            float:left;}

            #yiv5709135052 p {
            clear:both;padding:15px 0 3px 0;overflow:hidden;}

            #yiv5709135052 div.yiv5709135052ygrp-file {
            width:30px;}
            #yiv5709135052 div.yiv5709135052attach-table
            div.yiv5709135052attach-row div div a {
            text-decoration:none;}

            #yiv5709135052 div.yiv5709135052attach-table
            div.yiv5709135052attach-row div div span {
            font-weight:normal;}

            #yiv5709135052 div.yiv5709135052ygrp-file-title {
            font-weight:bold;}
            #yiv5709135052
            #yiv5709135052

            #yiv5709135052 #yiv5709135052 --
            #yiv5709135052ygrp-mkp {
            border:1px solid #d8d8d8;font-family:Arial;margin:10px
            0;padding:0 10px;}

            #yiv5709135052 #yiv5709135052ygrp-mkp hr {
            border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}

            #yiv5709135052 #yiv5709135052ygrp-mkp #yiv5709135052hd {
            color:#628c2a;font-size:85%;font-weight:700;line-height:122%;margin:10px
            0;}

            #yiv5709135052 #yiv5709135052ygrp-mkp #yiv5709135052ads {
            margin-bottom:10px;}

            #yiv5709135052 #yiv5709135052ygrp-mkp .yiv5709135052ad {
            padding:0 0;}

            #yiv5709135052 #yiv5709135052ygrp-mkp .yiv5709135052ad p {
            margin:0;}

            #yiv5709135052 #yiv5709135052ygrp-mkp .yiv5709135052ad a {
            color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
            #yiv5709135052

            wrote:

                   Hi all:
            I saw there was a report
            today on eButterfly of an unknown blue from the
            401 Ingleside rest stop  just a few km north
            of Upper Canada Village. The attached photo looks like a
            European Common Blue. It was reported by William Irwin. I
            guess its finally arrived in this province. Time to go look
            along the Ottawa River near Hawkesbury. Unfortunately
            I'm off today to a cottage near Bancroft so won't
            get a chance to look.
            Cheers
            Peter

          • ROSS DOBSON