Lowe Road and West End Way -- August 20

  • MICHAEL OLSEN
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20

      Hi!

      I went to Lowe Road and West End Way (off Ashton Station Road at Hwy 7) today.

      It was not great, but okay. The highlights were three Monarchs and a pair of Atlantis Fritillaries. The most numerous butterfly was Common Ringlet. Also, it seemed like much of what I saw, apart from a fairly worn Viceroy, was surprisingly fresh. (I don't know about others, but this is the best Monarch summer I've had in a long time. I think I've seen 15-20 in total, in various places around Ottawa.)

      Lowe Road

      Mustard White -- 2
      Cabbage White -- 1
      Eastern Tailed Blue -- 1
      Viceroy -- 2
      Atlantis Fritillary -- 2
      Monarch -- 1

      West End Way

      Cabbage White -- 4
      Black Swallowtail -- 1
      Monarch -- 2
      Viceroy -- 1
      Common Ringlet -- 10

      While Lowe Road may lack butterflies this year, other forms of life are having a banner year. Biting insects, for example.

      All kidding aside (though there were loads of biting insects), I saw hundreds of frogs: I was flushing one or two every step I took. Also, dragonflies were very common and bumblebees far outnumbered butterflies.

      Michael
    • ross layberry