The season isn't quite over yet

  • rick cavasin
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 25
      Hi All,

      I was out cycling the trans-canada trail between Jinkinson Road and Appleton Side Road today.  Most of the butterflies I saw were between the Hwy 7 underpass and Appleton Side road.  That may simply have been because the trail is a bit more sheltered from the wind in that area, and it was warmest at that point in the day.   The mosquitoes were ferocious, and I paid dearly for what photos I got.  All the Giant Swallowtails I observed were in that section.

      When I report the observations, I will break the survey up into sections, and report numbers for each section, but I'll just summarize the species for now:

      Least Skipper
      An extremely worn skipper - like a female Dun ( I could just make out the two spots on the forewing )
      Black Swallowtail
      Giant Swallowtail
      Cabbage White ( lots )
      Mustard White ( a surprise )
      Clouded Sulphur
      Eastern Tailed Blue
      Northern Crescent
      Red Admiral
      White Admiral
      Common Ringlet
      Monarch

      Not bad for this late in the season.

      Of note:  At one point, I thought I had sighted an Azure in the distance, but when I got closer, it turned out to be a Mustard White.  It was only slighly larger than an Azure would have been.

      Cheers, Rick
    • Judy and Peter Hall
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 26
        Hi folks:

        Like Rick, I was out a few days ago, to Reveler Conservation area, not expecting much in the way of butterflies and was surprised by the number I saw. My mix of species was different than Rick's. In several hours of mixed sunshine and clouds I observed:

        Dun Skipper - 1
        Black Swallowtail - 1
        Clouded Sulphur - 8
        Cabbage White - 3
        Eastern Tailed Blue - 1
        Fritillary sp. - 6 (only 2 were seen close up (these were GSFs), but all large, dark females)
        Northern Crescent 5 - 3 were quite worn but 2 were very fresh and looked different (like small Pearl Crescents with clear area in HW)
        Gray Comma - 1
        Mourning Cloak - 1
        Painted Lady - 1
        Common Ringlet - 6
        Common Wood Nymph - 1
        Viceroy - 1
        Monarch - 3

        Peter

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5

          Hi Folks,

          I was planning a trip to Point Pelee this fall and was wondering if anyone could tell me when the best time to catch the butterfly migration would be.

          Best wishes,

          Cherylee