154582 [gaiapc] Fwd: Daily Dose of Resilience: 11/09/2017

  • Don Chisholm
      Peter, do you have a copy of your chapter “Manifesto for a Movement Progressive” in  the Cambridge Scholars 2017 volume “Peace Issues in the 21st Century Global Context”, that you could share?
      Don

      On 2017-11-12 11:03 PM, 'Peter Venton' peter.venton@... [gaiapc] wrote:

      Hi Don,

      Thanks for this. I have attached a much lengthier review of Klein’s book.

      The Canadian Leap movement is progressive, not just left.  The reviewer got the main point that addressing climate change would “detonates the ideological scaffolding on which contemporary conservatism (i.e. neoliberalist capitalist project) stands.  He did not list the Leap’s policies at the end of the book of doubling the minimum wage, free college tuition and medicare  - all part of Bernie Sanders’ progressive manifesto.  He did not note the list of taxes on pages 246-247 that make the Leap affordable.  The reviewer questions how we can achieve such radical demans while confined within the logic of markets.  The point of the Leap policies is that all of them correct for market failures that most students of economics  have understood for at least seven decades. Really.

      For a proposal for the development of a progressive manifesto, see my chapter “Manifesto for a Movement Progressive” in  the Cambridge Scholars 2017 volume “Peace Issues in the 21st Century Global Context” by Shreesh Juyal and John Duncan (eds) pp. 353-376.

      Regards

      Peter