15669Re: [TGC] Discussing why population growth is still ignored or denied

  • Richard Balfour
      In full interpretation of all its meanings, it contains its own opposite, as in cheerful in a bloody minded manner, mad and laughing at same time,
      ambiguous yet clear in its ambiguity.
      On 2017-11-29, at 5:36 PM, Christopher Christie refugee2000@... [thegreatchange] wrote:

      Sanguine Hugh?

      Interesting word:

      Could be bloody optimistic, or ... just plain bloody!

      Good choice!

      sanguine

      [sang-gwin]
      1.
      cheerfully optimistic, hopeful, or confident:
      a sanguine disposition; sanguine expectations.
      2.
      reddish; ruddy:
      a sanguine complexion.
      3.
      (in old physiology) having blood as the predominating humor and consequently being ruddy-faced, cheerful, etc.
      4.
      bloody; sanguinary.
      5.
      blood-red; red.
      6.
      Heraldry. a reddish-purple tincture.
      7.
      a red iron-oxide crayon used in making drawings.

      On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 4:21 PM, hugh Hugh@... [thegreatchange] <thegreatchange@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Thanks Luis, excellent article, -

      - which I will attempt to distribute. As it is in a Chinese titled journal - wonder how many will see it.
      A few editorial bloopers (which reverse the meaning of a couple of the sentences) - but I assume they can't be addressed. My main bother is that they really don't address the rapidly advancing impact of climate change - which is going to completely upset the population apple cart. So many of these well intentioned ideas will become moot.

      But there is a terrific cognitive dissonance at work - 2 (female) climate scientists interviewed today on Radio National - still propose having children despite being aware of the implications of their work

      http://www.abc.net.au/ radionational/programs/ lifematters/motherhood-and- climate-science/9200838

      I'm afraid I'm a bit sanguine about the future.

      On 30/11/17 3:22 AM, Luis Gutierrez ltg4263@... [thegreatchange] wrote:

      FYI

      http://www.tandfonline.com/ doi/pdf/10.1080/10042857.2016. 1149296

      Copy attached.  This is an excellent discussion of "why population growth is still ignored or denied," including a nuanced analysis of social sensitivities and ecological anthropology.

      Luis

      Richard Balfour
      Strategic Planner
      • SPORPORI Strategic Planning for Ocean Rise and Peak Oil Resettlement Institute

      7276 Denman Road Denman Island BC Canada V0R 1T0             250 335 0766
      Balfour Strategic Planning
      www.plancanada.com

      • Vancouver Peak Oil Executive www.vancouverpeakoil.org

      balfourarch@...