15770Re: [gaiapc] Life's building blocks observed in spacelike environment

  • narguimbau@earthlink.net

      I'm not going to answer your question, but the really exciting information can be found by googling "organic molecules in comets," since we have thousands of incoming comets via the "Oort cloud" surrounding our solar system.  This makes me wonder whether it is worth looking for life in solar systems without Oort clouds at all, no matter how promising the planets are.  Comets and Oort clouds provide a systematic way of getting water and organics, even amino acids, to planets

      On 12/12/2017 8:24 PM, Steve Kurtz kurtzs@... [gaiapc] wrote:

      Nick,

      Is that just your opinion or do you have supporting data?

      Steve

      On Dec 12, 2017, at 7:05 PM, 'narguimbau@...' narguimbau@... [gaiapc] <gaiapc@...> wrote:

      Here's a quotation from the article itself:

      "The research group found that a variety of small organic molecules were produced in icy films subjected to LEEs. Propylene, ethane and acetylene were all formed in films of frozen methane. When a frozen mixture of methane and oxygen was irradiated with LEEs, they found direct evidence that ethanol was formed.

      Indirect evidence for many other small organic molecules, including methanol, acetic acid and formaldehyde was found. In addition, both X-rays and LEEs produced similar results, although at different rates. Thus, it is possible that life's building blocks might have been made through chemical reactions induced by secondary electrons on icy surfaces in space exposed to any form of ionizing radiation".

      It's a stretch to call these mollelculles they actually did see "lfe's building blocks," and all they concluded was "it is possible that life's building blocks might have been made through chemical reactions induced by secondary electrons on icy surfaces in space exposed to any form of ionizing radiation".

      "

      On 12/12/2017 4:01 PM, Steve Kurtz kurtzs@... [gaiapc] wrote:

      Emergence is awe inspiring!