15772Re: [gaiapc] Re: [gaiapc

  • Steve Kurtz
      Sometimes too many words for subject line
      I erred in my editing

      Steve

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Dec 14, 2017, at 1:08 AM, 'narguimbau@...' narguimbau@... [gaiapc] <gaiapc@...> wrote:

      I may be mistaken, but I think I see a difference between your title, ] "Life's building blocks observed in spacelike environment," and what the article says, "it is possible possible that life's building blocks  might have been made."  Steve, you can do much better.

      On 12/12/2017 8:24 PM, Steve Kurtz kurtzs@... [gaiapc] wrote:

      Nick,

      Is that just your opinion or do you have supporting data?

      Steve

      On Dec 12, 2017, at 7:05 PM, 'narguimbau@...' narguimbau@... [gaiapc] <gaiapc@...> wrote:

      Here's a quotation from the article itself:

      "The research group found that a variety of small organic molecules were produced in icy films subjected to LEEs. Propylene, ethane and acetylene were all formed in films of frozen methane. When a frozen mixture of methane and oxygen was irradiated with LEEs, they found direct evidence that ethanol was formed.

      Indirect evidence for many other small organic molecules, including methanol, acetic acid and formaldehyde was found. In addition, both X-rays and LEEs produced similar results, although at different rates.tions induced by secondary electrons on icy surfaces in space exposed to any form of ionizing radiation".

      It's a stretch to call these mollelculles they actually did see "lfe's building blocks," and all they concluded was "it is possible that life's building blocks might have been made through chemical reactions induced by secondary electrons on icy surfaces in space exposed to any form of ionizing radiation".

      "

      On 12/12/2017 4:01 PM, Steve Kurtz kurtzs@... [gaiapc] wrote:

      Emergence is awe inspiring!