15805Re: [gaiapc] Fwd: the Future is Indigenous...

  • Jada Thacker
      Ruben,

      I agree with you, except for your unwarranted charge of my anachronistic thinking. I do not believe communal people had similar thought processes to ours at all. In fact, we can do better than believe otherwise. We know they did not.

      That's an important point: we Moderns don't have to fantasize or presuppose how pre-civilized people lived because we observed very such societies and even studied some of them in some depth before they were extinguished or co-opted. I'm not philosophizing or rhapsodizing about such people, but am drawing comparisons and conclusions based upon Modern, sometimes scientific, empiricism.

      Do you think I apostrophized the term "social contract" in my previous message for no reason? I did so because I believe the term, as famously laid down by the likes of Thomas Hobbes and John Locke, is absolute bunk. To give credit to the existence of such a "social contract" would require a person to believe that a majority of the population voted to allow others to rule over their life and death according to whim. I'd like to count the ballots in that election, but nobody seems able to produce them.

      Additionally, I do not "see" pre-modern people "as uncivilized." They were absolutely uncivilized because they literally had no "civilization," which is historically defined as a society than has developed cities. ("Civilization" is derived from the Latin "civitas" meaning "city.") In this light for example, North American Indians were not only uncivilized (having no cities), but were also prehistoric (having no written history) and also Stone Age people (having no metallurgy). These are just facts, not value judgments.

      Jada

      On Monday, December 18, 2017 2:02 PM, "'Ruben Nelson' RubenNelson@... [gaiapc]" <gaiapc@...> wrote:

      Jada,

      I write because your post exemplifies how easily we in the Modern world apply concepts to pre-modern peoples as if their mental worlds were essentially like ours, when clearly, they were not.

      This is not just a picky point.  It suggests the we moderns have a tendency to systematically misconstrue our experience of pre-modern folks, especially pre-settled folks – whom we see as uncivilized.   The broader question it raises, is this:  If we are comfortable, as we appear to be, with our deep ignorance of the subtle ways that we who are “modern” construe the world, what confidence should we have that our readings of the present have much validity, let alone our readings of the past or our anticipations of the future?

      Specifically, you speak of the “social contract” of pre-settled peoples.  I suggest that this is an anachronistic category mistake.  I know of no evidence that pre-settled peoples thought in terms of a social contracts.  Rather, they thought in terms of themselves as “the people” with no concept analogous to our Modern individual.  Without the concept of persons as primordial individuals – a very recent concept even in the “West” – one cannot have a social contract.  Among pre-settled peoples there are no “individual” persons who would make the contract.

      Ruben

      Ruben Nelson
      Executive Director
      Foresight Canada

      FC Logo FINAL colour 123 KB colour

      From: Norberto Rodriguez <norbertorvega@...>
      Date: December 17, 2017 8:02:28 AM PST
      To: undisclosed-recipients:;
      Subject: the Future is Indigenous...

           Hugo Blanco is one the greatest indigenous leaders from Latin America. We all could learn a little bit from his visions.   Here are couple of interviews with him:

      norberto rodriguez

      Richard Balfour
      Strategic Planner
      • SPORPORI Strategic Planning for Ocean Rise and Peak Oil Resettlement Institute

      7276 Denman Road Denman Island BC Canada V0R 1T0             250 335 0766
      Balfour Strategic Planning
      www.plancanada.com

      • Vancouver Peak Oil Executive www.vancouverpeakoil.org

      balfourarch@...