15808Re: [gaiapc] Fwd: the Future is Indigenous...

  • Jada Thacker
      Yes, Stan, exactly so: "natural selection cannot foresee the future." This is why I am dubious of any claim that humans are somehow more genetically determined to "fail" compared to any other organism. We are the evolutionary product of our past behavior -- which evidently worked, but only in the environment that then existed, or we would not be alive today. I don't think humans have a genetic determinant for failure, but that humans have a genetic ability to discover and open a sequence of Pandora's boxes that effectively change our productive and reproductive environment: how to make tools, fire, agriculture, fossil-fueled industrialism, drugs, nuclear power.

      So I don't believe our genetic evolution determined what we would do, only our ability to discover how to do it. If memory serves, the ability to discover stuff un-discoverable to other living things is what got Adam and Eve fired from a pretty sweet gig.

      On Monday, December 18, 2017 2:45 PM, "Stanley N Salthe ssalthe@... [gaiapc]" <gaiapc@...> wrote:

      Jada --

      Concerning:
      The fact appears to be that human societies have demonstrated a proclivity to evolve toward less survival forms than those from which they originated. As you say, this self-destructive may be genetically determined, but I cannot imagine how such a genetic determinant could have evolved, given current consensus on the function of natural selection.

      S:  Natural selection 'cannot foresee the future', and works only, as it were, step by step.  So, we look for genetic determinants of behaviors that in the short run (the only cogent 'force') would only gradually (indetectably) parlay into mass social systems. Even while these latter are becoming liminal, individual behaviors could be selected locally that might foster yet more aggregation globally.  I think that what might be of more interest here would be what is known as 'group selection' (still controversial among the neoDarwinians!).  This could involve competition -- ALL selection is competition -- between social groups for you-name-it. The successful strategies would be mediated by folks having genetic determinants that have little to do with individual survival, like, maybe, those demonstrated by trump.

      STAN

      On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 2:32 PM, Jada Thacker jadathacker@... [gaiapc] <gaiapc@...> wrote:

      Hello again Jack. I don't think your views and mine are incompatible.

      Your assumption that all communal societies would have eventually evolved into civilized (hierarchical) societies may well be valid. But, at the time of their extinction, they had not yet done so -- although they had existed for about 300,000 years. My point is that hierarchical societies, which have existed for about  3% of our species' lifespan, destroyed the much longer-lived communal societies, thus precluding their further evolution. Whether or not their further social evolution would have occurred, and why, is a matter of conjecture.

      The fact appears to be that human societies have demonstrated a proclivity to evolve toward less survival forms than those from which the originated. As you say, this self-destructive may be genetically determined, but I cannot imagine how such a genetic determinant could have evolved, given current consensus on the function of natural selection.

      That said, I believe your point about humans now needing "a new social contract with additional constraints on normal personal behavior" is exactly right. But why should we expect a species that has for 10,000 years demonstrated its proclivity to "evolve toward extinction" to do any such thing -- and over a time frame of decades, no less?

      The "social contract" of communalism was that the survival of the (usually consanguine) group took precedence over individual liberty This was necessary accomplished voluntarily, because no legitimate coercive power existed. The "social contract" of hierarchy is that the survival of the leadership (royalty, the state, corporations) takes precedence over individual liberty. This in every case has required the use of coercive power over he follower-ship.

      So it seems to me that, while we both agree on the need for "additional constraints on normal personal behavior," the question of whose behavior we are talking about is of paramount importance. In the present world, where just eight men have the same economic power as approximately the poorest 3.3 billion humans, the answer to the question seems pretty obvious to me. But should we expect those in power to abdicate it for the good of the whole? Not on your life -- literally.

      Jada

      On Monday, December 18, 2017 10:56 AM, "'alpert@...' alpert@... [gaiapc]" <gaiapc@...> wrote:

      Jada and Richard     (Two people I greatly respect)

      I am aways afraid to jump into these conversations.

      1) the indigenous never had a stable society.

      Given another one or two thousand  years
      with no intervention from the outside world each tribe world
      would  have ended in our present condition.
      Why, because they are the same genetic stock with just slightly
      different path through their  physical world.

      What should be made clear in this conversation is that
      we in our present condition have enough cognitive process
      to know we are not going to make it on our present course.

      For the result of 7.6 billion sets of behavior to direct
      a course toward a sustainable
      we need a new social contract with additional
      constraints on normal personal behavior.

      Normal behavior won’t cut it and we know it.

      the ball is in our court…...

      for my solution.

      I would be glad to read anyone’s else'’s.

      comments welcome.

      jack

      Jack Alpert      PhD   Director:
      Stanford Knowledge Integration Laboratory    http://www.skil.org
      (C) 913 708 2554      alpert@...     skype: SKILdog
      13617 W. 48th Street Shawnee, KS  66216

      On Dec 18, 2017, at 10:22 AM, Jada Thacker jadathacker@sbcglobal..net [gaiapc] <gaiapc@...> wrote:

      Richard, thanks for sending..

      Although I fully empathize with Blanco's views, I don't think the near-term future will be "indigenous" for the mass of humanity. But the past certainly was. As obvious as it is, this fact is rarely conceded by current "environmentalists" or anybody else.

      How pathetic it is for Moderns to cast about, frantically seeking "models of sustainability," when it was we Moderns who intentionally annihilated the last sustainable societies on Earth! Agri-business/industrialism -- and all its vaunted accomplishments, cultural, scientific, and technological -- has indeed produced innumerable artifacts that might have been convenientfor humans living in "indigenous" sustainable societies 12,000 years ago. But it has never produced a single thing necessary for the survival of those societies. Quite the opposite.

      Considering this self-evident fact, it appears that human "progress" since the advent of civilization has been only a series of vain attempts to solve the problems it has caused. Moreover, civilization -- not being satisfied with even that astronomical level of futility -- has now "progressed" to inventing even more problematic solutions for problems that do not even exist: choose your favorite lethal pharmaceutical or addictive smartphone as examples.

      So, yeah, Blanco is on to something big. But like Marx, I'm afraid he is looking through the wrong end of the telescope: global society in general is not reverting inexorably toward "indigenous" communalism, but "progressing" catastrophically away from it.

      Jada

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Norberto Rodriguez <norbertorvega@...>
      Date: December 17, 2017 8:02:28 AM PST
      To: undisclosed-recipients:;
      Subject: the Future is Indigenous...

           Hugo Blanco is one the greatest indigenous leaders from Latin America. We all could learn a little bit from his visions.   Here are couple of interviews with him:

      norberto rodriguez

      Richard Balfour
      Strategic Planner
      • SPORPORI Strategic Planning for Ocean Rise and Peak Oil Resettlement Institute

      7276 Denman Road Denman Island BC Canada V0R 1T0             250 335 0766
      Balfour Strategic Planning
      www.plancanada.com

      • Vancouver Peak Oil Executive www. vancouverpeakoil.org

      balfourarch@...