15924Re: [gaiapc] Genesis 3:16 and the ecological crisis

  • Luis Gutierrez
      Did you read the article to the end?  Toward the end of the article, his conclusion is that patriarchy is cultural, not natural, i.e., not primarily biological.  This seems consistent with the biblical statement (Genesis 3:16) that patriarchy emerged *after* Adam and Eve ate the forbidden apple.  So patriarchy was not the natural order of things *before* this "original sin."  I think there is some truth in this biblical insight, which was written in ca. 1000 BCE, when patriarchy was already the prevailing culture.  Genesis 3:16 projects back the patriarchal curse as the most immediate and universal consequence of the "fall."  Well, then, if patriarchy is artificial, then it can be undone, or at least mitigated; and this is what GAIA needs!

      Luis

      On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 9:42 AM, Stanley N Salthe ssalthe@... [gaiapc] <gaiapc@...> wrote:

      Luis -- Regarding:

      Evolutionary theorists propose that female desire for domineering males helped create a patriarchal world.
      John Horgan, Scientific American, 29 December 2017

      Back in the 1980's I challenged a leader of our Feminist Movement with this same fact.  I asked her who she would rather mate with -- Woody Allen or John Wayne.  Knowing she was caught, she replied: "Why can't I have Robert Redford"?

      STAN

      On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 9:14 PM, Luis Gutierrez ltg4263@... [gaiapc] <gaiapc@...> wrote:

      Fascinating, see Genesis 3:16.  I think that this cultural disorder, which was latent but became exacerbated by the energy surplus of fossil fuels, is the primary root of the ecological crisis:

      Do Women Want to be Oppressed?
      Evolutionary theorists propose that female desire for domineering males helped create a patriarchal world.
      John Horgan, Scientific American, 29 December 2017
      https://blogs.scientificameric an.com/cross-check/do-women-wa nt-to-be-oppressed/

      Luis

    • Show all 19 messages in this topic