How cattle and other grazing animals can reverse climate change

  • Don Chisholm
    Message 1 of 4 , 7 Dec, 2017

      This an excellent TED talk.
      One of GPC early directors, Dick Richardson (U of Texas Austin Biology) was a big fan of Savory.

      Allen Savory on lands and animals https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpTHi7O66pI

      Don

      --

    • Karl S North
      Message 2 of 4 , 7 Dec, 2017
        Nice to see how Alan has refined his presentation to introduce and dramatize a complex subject in less than half an hour. My study and use of Alan's holistic decision making framework on my farm goes back twenty years. In 2002, Savory and his assistants personally trained a group of us in the US Northeast as Holistic Management (HM) educators, and I have taught it to farmers and others off and on since then.

        I also enjoyed exchanges with Dick Richardson on HM discussion lists. Dick tried to find the most revealing insights from his field to inspire big picture thinking. One of his revelations I recollect was that, by cell count, our bodies are 90% bacteria.

        The big challenge is to share HM widely enough to make any difference. I am pessimistic. It's too big a paradigm and life change for most people.

        On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Don Chisholm donchism@... [gaiapc] <gaiapc@...> wrote:

        This an excellent TED talk.
        One of GPC early directors, Dick Richardson (U of Texas Austin Biology) was a big fan of Savory.

        Allen Savory on lands and animals https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=vpTHi7O66pI

        Don

        Karl North -  http://karlnorth.com/
        "Pueblo que canta no morira" - Cuban saying
        "They only call it class warfare when we fight back" - Anon.
        "My father rode a camel. I drive a car. My son flies a jet-plane. His son will ride a camel."
         —Saudi saying
      • Helmut L
        Message 3 of 4 , 7 Dec, 2017

          " It's too big a paradigm and life change for most people. "

          Especially for city dwellers (eg me and my spiders, HL fifth floor bedsit apartment at bd Carl-Vogt 14, Geneva, Switzerland) posting this from Djerba...

          ( ... Kiosk at rue des deux ponts, Geneva. )

          HL
          www.ecoglobe.ch/scenarios
          www.ecoglobe.ch/requiem

          Message 4 of 4 , 7 Dec, 2017
            On 2017-12-07 1:51 PM, Karl S North knorth@... [gaiapc] wrote:

            Nice to see how Alan has refined his presentation to introduce and dramatize a complex subject in less than half an hour. My study and use of Alan's holistic decision making framework on my farm goes back twenty years. In 2002, Savory and his assistants personally trained a group of us in the US Northeast as Holistic Management (HM) educators, and I have taught it to farmers and others off and on since then.
            DC: Karl, from your 20 years adventure as a farmer, do your findings agree with Savory's views?
            I've heard that sheep make poor grazers because they comp of the grass to short and it may not recover.  I have no idea if that is true.

            I also enjoyed exchanges with Dick Richardson on HM discussion lists. Dick tried to find the most revealing insights from his field to inspire big picture thinking. One of his revelations I recollect was that, by cell count, our bodies are 90% bacteria.

            DC  I've know Dick by phone and email for many years but only met him once.  He was at an agriculture related conference and I was at one that HelmutB had organized.  We a dinner together.

            The big challenge is to share HM widely enough to make any difference. I am pessimistic. It's too big a paradigm and life change for most people.
            DC: and that's just one area of needed paradigm change!
            However, warranted pessimism should not rule our hope......?
            Don