The App That Reminds You You’re Going to Die

  • Steve Kurtz
    Message 1 of 3 , 13 Dec, 2017
      (Thanks to Nicole in Ottawa.)

      Dumb and dumber… Are people really that stupid…??

    • Stanley N Salthe
      Message 2 of 3 , 13 Dec, 2017
        At age 87 it begins to look like a solution!

        Did you ever try to imagine what it really 'looks like' on the other side?  It can't even be uniformly gray!

        STAN

        On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 3:09 PM, Steve Kurtz kurtzs@... [gaiapc] <gaiapc@...> wrote:

        (Thanks to Nicole in Ottawa.)

        Dumb and dumber… Are people really that stupid…??

      • Helmut L
        Message 3 of 3 , 13 Dec, 2017

          I skim-read the article. I love the ideas. I'm 75 and I'm ready to depart...

          "On a beautiful morning this past summer, I woke up to an email—subject line: “Death Makes You Happy”—that I initially mistook for Silicon Valley satire. It was a pitch for WeCroak, which was inspired by a “famous Bhutanese folk saying” averring that “to be a truly happy person, one must contemplate death five times daily.” “Because we are either unable or unwilling to live a rural life in the picturesque Himalayas where time for contemplation may happen more easily,” the email explained, the app’s creators had developed the next best thing: a 99-cent app that would “foster happiness” and “cultivate mindfulness” by pestering users with reminders about death. "
          [...]
          "WeCroak is a serious downer. Whereas Calm greets me with uplifting prompts to “take a deep breath,” WeCroak interrupts to warn that “the grave has no sunny corners.” (This is tame compared with traditional Buddhist meditation fodder: A foundational fifth-century text suggests viewing the 10 stages of a decomposing corpse—including “the bloated,” “the festering,” “the bleeding,” “the worm-infested,” and “the hacked and scattered”—and Buddhists from Southeast Asia use YouTube to share videos of cadavers turning black or crawling with flies.)"

          HL
          www.ecoglobe.ch/scenarios
          www.ecoglobe.ch/requiem