Fwd: A journey through a land of extreme poverty: welcome to America

  • Richard Balfour
    Message 1 of 5 , 19 Dec, 2017

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Vandy Savage <vlsavage@...>
      Date: December 19, 2017 10:59:19 AM PST
      To: Richard Balfour <balfourarch@...>
      Subject: A journey through a land of extreme poverty: welcome to America

      Richard Balfour
      Strategic Planner
      • SPORPORI Strategic Planning for Ocean Rise and Peak Oil Resettlement Institute

      7276 Denman Road Denman Island BC Canada V0R 1T0             250 335 0766
      Balfour Strategic Planning
      www.plancanada.com

      • Vancouver Peak Oil Executive www.vancouverpeakoil.org

      balfourarch@...

    • Jada Thacker
      Message 2 of 5 , 20 Dec, 2017
        Richard and all,

        Speaking of poverty within affluent nations/regions...

        It may take a moment to wrap one's head around this graph from 2015. It did for me. (Possessing a pair of dividers helped!)

        Global levels of least wealth are shown on the left margin, levels of greatest wealth on the right. If you measure the total of extreme "least wealth" in US and Europe, you will find that these regions account for about 28% of the world total -- simultaneously accounting for about 65% of the world's most extreme wealth.

        That's right: US and Europe account for more than a quarter of all the poorest of the world's poor -- 30% higher than India and even slightly higher than Africa. In fact, US-Europe has almost as many of the poorest-of-the-poor as Latin America and Asia combined

        Perhaps even more surprising is the drastically greater wealth equality in Latin America, Asia and especially China, relative to the far-wealthier US-Europe. If China had the same percent of of the world's poorest as does the US, their share of poorest people would 10 times higher than today. In all cases, the middle classes of every other region in the world -- including Europe -- have every reason to resist following the terrible example of US internal net wealth distribution.

        Although the data is aggregate (not "per capita"), it is still astonishing that the share of global wealth held by Americans at the 50% decile is not only extremely small as compared to any other region, but looks to be only ~1% of the world total. Given that the US -- with about 4% of global population -- burns 25% of global crude oil every day, this stands as a stark indictment of how inequitably the US capitalist system allocates its share of net wealth among its own population.

        Please bear in mind, this data is not from some bleeding-heart poverty watchdog group, but from Credit-Suisse one of the six largest multinational banking conglomerates in the world today. I looked up their research metrics for this data, and they are extensive: somebody spent a helluva a lot of money for this research. NOTE: the term "wealth" in this study is defined as the familiar "household net worth" measure (Assets - Liabilities = Net Worth).

        Source:

        We may ponder why a giant multinational bank would spent so much money and effort to produce this research. Consider how much money and effort Portugal, Spain, the Netherlands, and England spent reconnoitering the planet in the 15th and 16th centuries: if you don't know where the resources are, you don't know who to steal from next.

        Jada

        Inline image

        Begin forwarded message: